Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've tried the last LG Stylus phone and thought its stylus was precise enough for quick notes and sketches, which is all I need on a screen that size.

The phone's specs were unacceptable however.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

For me, as a note taker, it’s always been the opposite. The smaller the screen the more precise, smooth, and consistent I want the stylus. There’s less margin for sloppiness. And I need to write with smaller letters while still keeping them legible.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My big issue is that LG track record with supporting their devices is atrocious (especially when it comes to security updates which is critical for corporate) and it seems if anything to have gotten worse as sales have slid in the US. So much so that LG devices are on "requires special approval" for an employee to use.

They are also poor in the OS update realm. If you are lucky, you might get one version of Android update and that's it.

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Agreed. When it comes to Android, it's hard to justify anything but Google or One Pus phones, for security and os updates. Happily, they both make good products, especially the new Pixel xA line (as in Pixel 3A, etc, at $400.) Of course, unless you have the need and budget for a Note phone, which makes the choice even easier, if ungodly expensive, large in the pocket and questionable os updates, beyond perhaps 2, very late ones. Sheesh! Will this be the year I purchase my first ever iPhone??!!;)o_O:confused::rolleyes:

desertlap likes this.
  5. desertlap

Yes Google seems to have taken Apples approach to OS updates to heart. Samsung seems to be getting there, promising "a minimum of two years of updates " but unfortunately even there they hedge a bit and on are doing so only on the new S10 and Note 10 series.

BTW: I'm sure that's also why the resale market for iPhones is so much better than anyone else with places like Gazelle etc. From a corporate perspective, it's encouraging that they are still offering full OS support and updates for a three and soon to be four year old device (iPhone 7)

PS: Gotta say, as I mentioned a few post back, I'm on the new note 10 + and I'm really enjoying it so far. I still may be in the "new car smell " phase though.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.
  6. dellaster

Yes, I’m quite pleased that the 64 GB iPhone SE I got for $200 (refurb, like new) will also get iOS 13. Probably not iOS 14 next year, but there will be some acceptable used/refurbished iPhones at sane prices to choose as a replacement by the time the lack of a major OS update starts being noticeable, I think.

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I LOVE Wacom EMR, but if LG brought their Stylo stylus to the V series, with that dual display case, then I would jump ship immediately. I don't need EMR, but I do need* something more precise than a finger that is built-in. Why they haven't put it on their "creator's" line boggles the mind. Then again, all tech companies seem insane in not improving their devices and using their prowess for rather useless features (motorised cameras because they don't want a notch or bezel, for example).

*obviously that's a bit hyperbolic

Cuberdon75 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  8. dellaster

Also, while I’m at it, I should mention that my less-than-2yo Note8 resold on Swappa at the going rate for a third of its MSRP. The iPhones of the same age were going for half to two-thirds their MSRP... and selling faster. It’s something that has been known forever but should be repeated; total cost of ownership is higher on the Samsung Note10 regardless of the iPhone model.

9. desertlap

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I would still expect him to be hands on with the development - he has always had teams working for him, it is now just a larger team.

Marty likes this.