Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's part of what I meant by conflicted. Again to use the bezel example, smaller bezels also led to improved palm rejection software which absolutely is beneficial. My point was more the "let s do that because everyone else is doing it" mentality that takes over.

And to yet again use the bezel as a counter argument, there comes a point of unintended consequences. I have a good friend/peer that works in K12 education. One of the downsides they have observed with Apple's push for smaller bezels is that those models tend to get dropped more because of the way kids hold them. e.g instead of gripping with one hand and using touch with the other, the smaller bezels lead them to try to balance them by the back with the holding hand because they don't want to cover the screen.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, but did'ya ask the kids if they wanted more bezel?... :p ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. desertlap

BTW: Several years ago I was in Taiwan and there was a small company that demonstrated sort of what you are talking about. The back of the tablet was also touch sensitive but purely for the purposes of preventing false touch and/or palm rejection. The theory was similar to noise cancellation where microphones listen to a sound and the phones produce a 180 degree phase reversed sound where they essentially cancel each other out. I never did see a marketed product though.

4. djas

djas Graffiti User

Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices....

.... is another tablet:

20190818_110508_compress31.jpg

GTA8SP 2019. I am so glad to be back on a mini tablet AIO as a daily work carry (DWC):

20190817_020342_compress67.jpg

Edit:

The replaced Note 10.1 (2014) is now re-purposed to monitor duty permanently:

20190817_224019_compress8.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like BestBuy has the best Verizon deal so far at $1,250 for the 10+ 5G Note (Verizon's current deal is $1,299 but there is a trade in allowance which doesn't do me any good since I'm keeping my Note 5 as a backup). At least I think it does. What are Samsung credits and what are they good for? (I've really tried to figure it out from the website). Can I buy the wireless earpieces with them? I think they are offering $150 in credits. Delivery for Verizon's 5G model is August 30.

@djas love the dual screen set up. Your keyboard on the S3 has seen better days.

nnthemperor and djas like this.
  6. desertlap

If it's like the previous deals, the credit is usually pretty much good on anything in Samsungs online store.

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

It sure does, hasn't it? What a faithful little machine that fella has been. After all these years, it is still going strong. The Type Cover needs some loving.... :)

Bronsky likes this.
  8. desertlap

So it looks like a swing and a miss from Lenovo with the new RAZR if the facts in this article are correct. Early adopters will buy in (almost) without regards to price, but they will expect top end specs too. $1500 seems to much just for the folding screen. e.g by having it be a mid range spec otherwise, you are in essence paying $1000 for the folding screen.

https://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-razr-foldable-phone-price-release-date-1020643/

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, there goes that option. If you are burning money, add 5 big ones and go with the Galaxy Fold and have a real chance and a flagship class device at least...

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Sorry I'm catching up on this thread but they are still there running the teams -

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ralf-groene-33114b1/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/panos-panay-22b60ba9/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-bathiche-7773081/

nnthemperor and Marty like this.