Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dstrauss likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

If you scroll through the (63) comments under the listing, people are not at all happy with this device. Sounds like the right idea (a cheap Note phone) but perhaps too low budget to be workable.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Mate 20x also had pen support, and I think we found out here it was Wacom AES?

Luft and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol. That's such a shameless rip-off. Only, they seem to have in many ways matched or even done better than Samsung and for that price... If they could make a $600 - $700 device, imagine what they could offer!

dstrauss and Cuberdon75 like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

GOD I HATE THESE APPLE FANBOYS! I scroll down through the article @Steve S found and see the rendering of a possible small(er) Apple Pencil, and then I continue reading the article for more information about this "huge reveal" when I find out the author's not writing about the "doozy" I was thinking of:

"We saved the biggest surprise for last, and it’s definitely a doozy. The huge alleged Foxconn leak from yesterday claimed that Apple is introducing a fourth color on the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max this year, and it’ll be “dark green.” According to Koroy, however, it will actually be a special new color with a “rainbow” effect that reflects different colors depending on the angle to the light."

I want to hurl F bombs until the end of time - OMG - stop the presses - he's talking about a new COLOR for god's sake - it's just like the selfie/emoji culture - these magical trivial personalizations trump anything substantive and useful about a computing device. And it's not just the Apple culture - go back and read the rave reviews when Dell introduced a frosted white colored XPS 13.

ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

[​IMG]

Kumabjorn and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

C'mon @dstrauss don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel :D

dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes, please.... :)

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OK wise guys: !@#%$&^&(^%&*$@#%&*)^(#^&!N(#_!(*#B )*!*@Y(*@#^ !(_(& (+7 =9

Seriously, are you guys not upset by this kind of reporting? I guess I should expect no less from the media than from a company whose rainbow color watchband is more important than the watch itself...can't make a persistent low power screen mode, but sure can pump out a this $49 worth of pure profit...

[​IMG]

djas likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok seriously, I'm conflicted. Design "fashion" for lack of a better term does have a tendency to make tech especially that which was previously more niche, mainstream. And mainstreaming leads to more players which tends to lower prices and more innovation.

However it does often get ridiculous for instance with the current obsession with thinness and small bezels often at the expense of usability.

I'm being serious (and I might get pelted with rocks for saying it, ) but this is yet another symptom of the 24/7 news culture that has come up in concert with the internet and cable news. e.g. what matter is most is what new thing you have to say and who says it first.

So with way more "deep thoughts" than is appropriate for an early Saturday morning, I'll bow out for now :)

PS: so I fibbed. I cant find it now, but there was a sociology study done in the very early 2000"s that had young school children draw images of things the study directors named. What made me remember it was that when they said "computer" many kids drew basically the original iMacs. That cemented my thoughts about design impression as even then, the iMac was far from the dominant selling personal computer.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    djas and dstrauss like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But what about the aesthetics that actually foster software/hardware innovations? :)

For example, thinner bezels promotes neat software solutions like VAIO's pencil board feature, which actually increases overall tablet usability (as I explained here).

Future hardware solutions could detect touch along the back of the device to intelligently distinguish the gripping hand. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it's there by default in upcoming folding devices.

I'd go so far as to say design of form more often than not—transcends pure aesthetic value, and drives most of the advancement in the past decade of tablet/mobile tech.

(I realize you're probably aware of these benefits too, but I just want to make the point since this kind of discussion often gets railroaded into false dichotomies. ;))

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.