Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well technically, I bashed Samsung, then Qualcomm, then MS. So you see, I've been very judicious in my bashing.

I've given proper attention to all fronts of sadness for TPCRers these days. :)

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

We have so many options now as compared to say, 10-15 years ago where the only TabletPC options are from MS. I wouldn't want to use an old thick & heavy TC1100 with its short battery life & loud fan given the leaps in quality hardware we have now.

Now we have choices: pick your platforms of choice. Not just hardware either; but modular hardware with excellent software intergration.

We are living in exciting IT times. :)

MS will never go away in enterprise. Samsung is now working/collaborating with them & are improving Outlook/Onedrive to intergrate better with MS. This is good for users.

These companies will do what they think is good for them. We choose to use/buy their offerings as we see fit.

I'm loving it :)

Slow day at the office. Has time to catch up on this excellent forum.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Huh??? Only options from Microsoft???
    10-15 years ago there were even more options albeit not in the form factors we have today... But Microsoft didn't even make hardware until 2013?

Acer
    Gateway
    Hp
    Fujitsu
    Toshiba
    IBM
    Motion Computing

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

4. djas

djas Graffiti User

The TC1100 I quoted (& I used it from 2004-2014) is an HP machine. All these manufacturers make TabletPC based off Windows TabletPC edition. I didn't make my post clear enough, I guess? Apology for the confusion then ..:)

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Gotcha...OS not hardware.. Apologies

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

djas likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Dear Jeff:

Charter member (maybe even organizer) of the MBE Club here. Yes, I am, and one of the biggest reasons is that I am a life long (at least 40 years) user of MSDOS/Windows, and bashing MS sometimes results in change, unlike bashing Apple which generally only results in them doubling down on the chosen object(s) of hate...
    • the MacBook keyboard has been a POS for FOUR years; universally ridiculed and reviled; and maybe, just maybe, they will finally change the design this fall on at least one model
    • iOS, phones and tablets, has been a worthless jumble of hard to rearrange icons since inception (12 YEARS) and when they finally "redesigned" the interface what did we get - notifications on the left side of the screen that disappear as soon as you try to swipe to the next page of useless icons
    • don't even get me started on lack of mouse support in the tablet; lack of touch on the laptop; no pen support for the iPhone; more interest in rainbow color watch bands than allowing customization of the watch face by the user; etc. etc. etc.
    So, welcome to the obedient lemming world...the iPP is still the ultimate form factor for a computing device, if MS would just convince Samsung to put the S-Pen back into the body of the Tab S, add a kickstand, and switch to WOA - BRING IT ON!

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One interesting footnote to the Apple butterfly keyboard, but as much as people complain about it, within our customer base (which includes a quite large Apple customer) the actual failure rate on those keyboards is actually about middle of the pack, being very near the HP X series devices.

OTOH The keyboard in the previous gen retina models has one of the best reliability records ever.

I get that a lot of people don't like the feel, myself included, but there is a degree of "jumping on the bandwagon" in calling it unreliable and junk.

Ok, sling it at me :)

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The thing is @djas, you're ignoring "the quest" aspect of TPCR, which most of us have been on for all those long 10-15 years.

It's not about having a multitude of tablets with burgeoning OSes to choose from. It's about completeness with that one tablet, that you can take anywhere, that you can hold and love, and that even naked (device-wise :p), you feel you can do anything with.

For example, I currently own a VAIO Z Canvas. It's impeccably crafted inside and out; it radiates rich and accurate color; and it still runs circles around almost any tablet, 4 years after release. I take it everywhere around the world for design work, coding, note-taking and general purpose browsing/e-reading/etc. It has everything—except for a good digitizer. :(

Sigh...so my quest continues.

And I think many of us can relate to being that one feature shy from tablet happiness. So the appeal of all those fancy new WOA, Apple, and Dex tablets is essentially same appeal as cat-toys, interesting as side-distractions and experiments—but it's not food. It doesn't satisfy the existential desire of a TPCRer.

Tolkien put it best:

"One [tablet] to rule them all, One [tablet] to find them,
    One [tablet] to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

(See even Tolkien knew you don't got nothin', until you got the One. :D)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    djas and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You asked for it...

[​IMG]

The butterfly keyboard is the single worst POS decision by computer manufacturers in history, particularly because they did it SOLELY for aesthetics and refused to go back to a tried and true solution after loud vocal outcries. It is not even a matter of whether it is less durable, typing on it is little better than typing on a solid surface - it is an abomination...even those who say they "prefer it" are only saying so after a prolonged wait for a reversal of the decision. IF the rumored MacBook Pro goes back to a scissor switch with acceptable travel (1.3mm or better) it will be a watershed event - if it is just another shallow throw alternative to the butterfly - screw 'em.

How's that for slinging...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Cuberdon75 likes this.