Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That matches what we have heard through the grapevine, eg. IOS app development is in house and Android is outsourced to a 3rd party. Now that in itself is not always a bad thing. MS has done that in the past, with good results, for example with hypervisor.

EDIT: OTOH with the new coziness with Samsung, maybe that's the Android partner?

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I pass the "Debbie Downer Award" to my rightful successor, @Marty.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I mean that's probably true about outsourced development for OneNote, but if Microsoft hasn't realized what a problem that's causing by now, then that's on them. But hey, OneNote at least is usable. It's not good, but it's usable.

Additionally, Outlook for Android is a direct result of their purchase of Accompli... which was nearly five years ago, so it's long past due for Microsoft to have stepped in here if they cared at all. And that one is a complete clusterf***, so it's clear that the answer is that they just don't care at all. But you'd also think this sort of thing would be vetted prior to spending $200 million to acquire an app too. I mean, you still can't edit any contacts (last I tried a few months ago), and it doesn't actually sync your calendar to Android. It'll download it, but not actually sync with the system, so no Google Assistant, or Cortana, or third-party widgets, or anything.

Like I said, just another way they can't get it together... one group is touting Android as the best way to get Windows integration, while other groups (or third-party partners) have completely and totally dropped the ball on what should be core Android apps.

4. desertlap

Interesting you should mention the Accompli purchase. Allegedly there is no one left at MS from that purchase.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another day, another $200 million down the drain?

So they didn't keep any talent, and the core technology acquired didn't yield a good product. And yet they are #1 in tech? :vbconfused:

Clearly, I must have learned everything wrong in economics class. :vbtongue:

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So what's with all the chatter that Outlook is going to be the default mail client on the Note 10?

7. desertlap

All my engineering training especially the concept of ROI isn't helping me either :)

And BTW @Marty ,you know that there isn't anyone form the original surface team, working on the surface team anymore

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whaaa! :eek: Nooo, they didn't get rid of Panos and Ralf did they?

So what's happened to this beautiful lab? :(

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I was about to post this exact thought, until I saw you had already passed to @Marty the @dstrauss honorary Microsoft-Basher Extraordinaire (MBE) crown!

@Marty, you are driving me to the shores to jump in with you! I have a 10+ year investment in Windows 7/8/10 and really know my way around that OS. Additionally, I like the breadth of hardware options available to Windows users that are not available to the one size (ie, iPad) fits all (no, different tablet/screen sizes do not comprise "breadth of hardware options!") Finally, I really prefer clamshell/convertible devices and, of course, touch screens and pen input is still banned from Macbooks. There are even some Chromebooks that offer more attractive form factors than, for me, the iPad offers, but you then have to go to Linux or Android and previous comments about lack of MS support for other platforms have written those off.

I've been an obedient lemming and have been using an IPP for a couple of months and while the platform performs better than Android or Linux on apps using the pen, it's still a kluge using any of the keyboards available. Plus as well as it performs, I still hate the Pencil and I find the latest incarnations of both AES and even MPP to be more than satisfactory for note-taking/PDF markups. And there isn't a keyboard on any other device that is as wonderful to type in as Thinkpads, or Dell Latitudes or HP Elitebooks. Wah!

So, set a revised jumping day yet? :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

That's honorable mention for you now, @desertlap , for the Debbie Downer/Microsoft Basher Extraordinaire (MBE) title @dstrauss passed along to @Marty ! I realize you're not technically bashing MS, you're just stating facts, which confirm the awful prospects for any improvement for the foreseeable future!