Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap - I'd counter that even with Pencil support (and of course NO silo), you'll never get the OS level integration out of Apple.

@djas - if they open up OS level integration, then I agree that the Note XX could be MS's enterprise solution for a long time to come. Workaholics and note-aholics unite.

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I'm worried about is MS' half-hearted attempts at things that just leave customers hanging. Windows 8/8.1 introduced a lot of tablet-oriented UX that was refreshing and felt fast and fluid—albeit not well-integrated.

Instead of iterating on this promising UX, they decided to just freeze touch/pen development, roll back many tablet-oriented features in their 'perfected version' of Metro, Windows 10, and just call it a day.

This of course left many 8-10" Windows tablet owners out to dry, especially owners of the original Surface RT. Windows Phone again, promising beginnings only for a sudden pulling of the plug.

So if we actually do see Centaurus on Windows Core, I wouldn't be keen to just "jump right in". Surface hardware is expensive, debugging a new platform is time-consuming. Apple has at least shown a willingness to tough it out until their once-mocked slogan of "What's a computer?" was realized in the iPad Pro.

MS so far? Great ideas that are unfortunately, never executed to completion.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I actually agree with you on everything you said about MS history of making a bold move one year and then spending the following years either ignoring it or in the case of the Windows 8 UI actively backing away.

One ancedote from a MS engineer we interviewed who was part of the original windows 8 team. We asked why he was leaving and he said that when work on Windows 10 started, anyone strongly associated with 8 was "actively shunned and ignored". That could just be sour grapes but I think it's generally believed by MS that Windows 8 was a major misstep.

That all being said, I'm a perpetual early adopter and optimist :)

lovelaptops and Marty like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Outlook for Android is still garbage. It needs more than lip service by Microsoft. It needs to be seriously improved. I currently use the Samsung app, which is far better IMHO. I would prefer to stay with MS apps, but they can't suck.

lovelaptops, Tams, dstrauss and 2 others like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Strongly agree about Outlook on Android. Exchange support which is what we are really talking about needs to be completey integrated in to the core mail client.

Apple's support in the standard mail client is by far the best solution in the market. Still lots of room for improvement especailly in calendar support though.

7. Marty

Sort of like popular tech comments sections these days. Try to mention "Windows 8 wasn't tha—" and you get your head cut off.

Tribalism.

The start—and end—of humanity. :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I wish they would stop putting their B-team on some of their big Android apps. As mentioned, Outlook is complete and utter trash. OneNote is mediocre at best. Whiteboard? Not on Android yet (about 18 months after it came out on iOS, a year after they announced it's supposedly coming to Android, and despite the fact it makes more sense with the S-pen than it does on an iPhone). Skype is missing big features that it used to have even still. Skype for Business is even worse than that. It's weird that at the same time they're pushing so hard for certain types of Android connectivity (like Your Phone), they're putting such a half-hearted effort into other things.

lovelaptops and Tams like this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It wasn't, but the public responses by Microsoft were pig-headed and they deserved the hate they got. I wish I could say the same about the backlash against the non-UWP OneNote, but they just completely ignored that. Now they're busy with their apps as a service stuff, which ultimately I don't think will go down well.

lovelaptops likes this.
  10. Marty

On the Android side, I wouldn't even say it's even a "B-team", more like a totally separate team that's not very well tied to MS:

(Reddit)
    "The Android version of OneNote is a different (and sad) story. To my knowledge it's development has been outsourced to an Asian contractor (in think on the Philippines) some 2 years ago. That team seems to be rather disconnected from the rest of the in-House-developers at Microsoft; they might even have their own product management. So probably the Android team is following its own roadmap (and won't reveal it, like Microsoft themselves)

...The only communication from that Asian team to the customers happens on a Google+ group for public beta testers (https://plus.google.com/communities/113633281646135322395). Every few weeks a developer is showing up there to proudly announce a new version that usually offers no new features but, hey, another bugfix (and maybe three new bugs). This communication will end soon, as Google+ is being discontinued in a few months."

So with Google+ shut down, there is now exactly zero communication with the devs.

With MS now trying to consolidate its services, they are probably trying to work out how to bring the Android stuff in-house. Of course after years of disconnected development, I'll bet almost none of the code is re-usable.

Thus we get high-quality iOS Office apps developed first-party, and ****ty Android apps that are in development limbo. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019