Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

All my old critiques in the older, linked-to post still stand- text selection and use of mouse, desktop browser for mobile work, keyboard functionality. Perhaps these things will be improved enough to explore an iPad again. But none of its real yet, so I'll wait for the non-beta version after the bugs are worked out, in, say, 6 months?

The other issue is that I'd really like an iPad like that with a better keyboard and mouse. So, it's also about accessories. Perhaps a Brydge keyboard with a trackpad? That would help.

Marty and dstrauss like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The aftermarket clamshell keyboards add functionality to the IPad but at a real weight penalty.

Steve S likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...but at a real weight penalty...>>

+1. I took a look at the various third party keyboard / cases that were available for my iPP and I was shocked to discover how heavy they were. The Brydge may be a fine keyboard, but it's also a brick! It and most of the others completely defeat the idea of having a thin, light computing platform.

The Apple keyboard folio may be ugly, but at least they get it; it was the thinnest, lightest option that I could find...

Bronsky likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is sadly. I'd put up with the Logitech which in my opinion has the best keyboard, and I'd even put up with the weight, if they just made it easier to remove the iPad for pure tablet use.

The problem I saw with the pro 11 and the logitech case was that it so hard to remove (very tight on all edges), I was genuinely concerned I'd bend or damage the iPad removing it.

5. Steve S

<<...The problem I saw...was that it so hard to remove (very tight on all edges)...>>

Again, +1. I've used cases with those "surround" shells in the past and I have the same misgivings about them. It was another reason why I went with Apple's solution; the magnetic attachments were firm enough not to come loose in normal use, but loose enough that you could get the folio case off without using a cold chisel when you wanted to...!

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Tablet keyboards are a no win scenario no matter which way you go
    • strong enough to hold up the tablet half - it's going to weigh as much if not more than the screen - no way to get below two pounds combined weight any way I can see
    • thin and light folio cases, and everybody (me included) b**** about instability
    • the Surface Pro got it the closest combining a kickstand and stiff flat keyboard, but still lappability complaints
    • Apple is failing miserably without backlighting - it is stable in your lap but only two positions - and once they are forced to add a track pad they'll be in hot water again
    • after market can NEVER be as elegant as an OEM design
    I really hate myself for this next comment but here goes - tablets for "tablety" things and laptops for real computing - never the twain shall meet...I officially quit tilting at windmills...

nnthemperor, lovelaptops and Marty like this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, if you add a hefty after-market keyboard to an iPad, its because you want to use it like a laptop while typing. That would be the goal. Have a super thin tablet computing device for an iPad would not be the sole reason I would get one. It would be the flexibility to use it that way when I want, and then have a functional typing/computing device when I add the keyboard. I already carry around a laptop and a tablet, so carrying around one "heavy" iPad/keyboard combo instead isn't so bad to me. It's the flexible functionality as a combined single device that always appealed to me.

Which I've not been able to arrive at. Thus two devices. Or three if you count the phone. Better functionality with different devices in different situations has always ended up winning out for me, instead of compromised functionality with fewer devices.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. Steve S

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Proximo's back!

And round and round we go...

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I wonder if computers are my Gladiators:

"I am Proximo. I will be closer to you in these next few days, which will be the last days of your miserable lives, than that b**** of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world. I did not pay good money for your company, I paid it so I could profit from your deaths. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, so I shall be there at your end. And when you die, and die you shall, your transition will be to the sound of [he claps his hands]. Gladiators, I salute you."

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.