Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not here. Sticking with my Go as the only notebook device and my Galaxy Note Phone. I was tempted to pick up a mini when it was released to use as a chart plotter but I'm adding a BT GPS to the Go to perform that role. For now, I'm looking at replacing the Go with a Go2 when it comes out and my Note 5 with the Note 10. Sticking with a two device solution.

dstrauss likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, but that's because you're one of the few who has successfully merged the laptop + tablet role perfectly for your usage, in the form of the SGo.

The rest of us here have been struggling to perform that particular move of device jujitsu for years...arduously, and in vain. Portability, pen experience⁠—or some darned factor⁠—always prevents that perfect harmonization.

So we find ourselves eyeing the increasingly seductive IPP as the promised antidote. I have a feeling that if MS tarries in updating the SGo (or drops the ball with a WOA refresh), you'll be right along there with us too. ;)

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think both of those possibilities are quite probable. The Go is clearly Microsoft's ugly step-child (i.e., as in the exclusion of a pixel sense controller). It is such a perfect size and weight, it would be a crime if the Surface team ignores its perfect fit as an 8cx/X55 device. Nevertheless, be it concern over cannibalizing sales of the Pro series or lack of imagination, it is quite possible that the next generation Go will fail to fulfil its potential. At that point, we'll have to see. For now, it's wait and hope.

JoeS likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How's that "wait and hope" working for you as far as MS is concerned? The SGo appears to be a run away hit with the enterprise, so anything they do to it that would result in an increase in the ASP per unit would hurt those sales. Would the SGo Pro be a consumer only product with Snapdragon 1000 level support? Could they even pull off that distinction?

MICROSOFT NEEDS AN IPP-11 SIZE COMPETITOR, with full Windows chops, or they will be cleared from the field by Apple. Maybe they've already crossed the Rubicon on that and are satisfied to support the enterprise cubicle drones, personal users locked to a Windows laptop, and everything else goes to cross-platform software and services. In fact, I think they are already on that path, co-opting the Android phone space with their skins and apps. It's like that famous line in Diehard...

John McClane: You throw quite a party. I didn't realize they celebrated Christmas in Japan.

Joseph Takagi: Hey, we're flexible. Pearl Harbor didn't work out so we got you with tape decks.

Bronsky, dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You'll find that that 6.3" or even 6.7" because it is that abominable 19:9 or something along that ratio, still had less real estate compared to the note 5 unless you decide to write in landscape mode. The curve takes up what little space you could have.
    Still, the 5g seems to be a solid proposition for you, and you have waited this long to replace your SN5. So, go for it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's already too late - recognize the tread pattern @Bronsky?

[​IMG]

Tams, Kumabjorn, JoeS and 3 others like this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

There might still be a few remaining MS individuals with dwindling influence who kick a fuss, but I agree and believe that the die has been cast, the Rubicon crossed, and bridges burned. Nadella has been carving out a very profitable niche (cloud, enterprise) which Wall Street adores. For what reason would they want to turn back now? It’s too late, they’ll fail, and they know it.

8. nnthemperor

Are those tire marks on that phone?

Bronsky likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

Speaking of 3-device setups, how's this for a 4-device/2 OS solution? I'm not one to be easily outdone.[​IMG]

dstrauss, DRTigerlilly and Marty like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The war of the pens. :)

nnthemperor likes this.