Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm late to this party.

I eventually moved to Huawei, after the Microsoft (Nokia) stuff vanished, with the P10 pro being the first model. No issues whatsoever. I then moved to the P20 pro, which I've been using for months (No issues) and yesterday a Mate 20 x arrived. Very solid phones. No crashes. No issues but, saying that, I don't use my phone for much. Shame that Huawei might end up vanishing.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Question about the Galaxy Notes.

Can anybody explain to me why we haven't seen Wacom EMR tech on other brands in all these years since the first Note? I realize the S-Pen itself is Samsung tech, but surely somebody else could implement EMR on phones, as Huion or XP-Pen have been doing for tablet displays? Surely there's been enough time for roadblock patents, whatever they may be, to expire and/or be transferred on the cheap?

I'd love to see a mid-range EMR phone with a *non-curved display*, since Samsung seems unable to understand that curves don't play nicely with note-taking.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bless you bro. MS could have done that, but they cheaped out with Ntrig.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Cuberdon75 - I think @nnthemperor is on the right track with the "cheaped put" observation because the technology itself is inherently more expensive with the need for a digitizer layer in the screen stack. Likewise, although Samsung owns a part of Wacom (I think it is in the range of 5%), Wacom has a very active professional drawing tablet business that it jealously guards. You may remember Microsoft was not even allowed to advertise it was using Wacom technology in the Surface and Surface 2 models.

Unfortunately, it mostly comes down to the MS decision to "cheap out" with the purchase of N-Trig which spread throughout the entire PC industry. I would love to know the true cost of an N-Trig version pen vs Wacom (exclusive of the Wacom royalties).

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Cuberdon75

But as far as I know Huion and XP-Pen are using EMR tech that is not, or not anymore, Wacom.

Why isn't this happening on phones?

Why don't more people want it and demand it? It seems like such an obvious benefit to me, ranking way, way ahead of a hundred other niceties a phone can offer, even if you're not an avid note-taker.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We have one unlocked unit and one t-mobile one. Interestingly the t-mobile unit got the latest update from one-plus first.

We are new to supporting one plus devices, so I intend to keep a close eye on them going forward and I appreciate others input on them.

I also agree that we have come along way generally and that the phones are much closer than they used to be. I don't have fond memories of the g1 or the Motorola droids ...

Although the limited edition R2D2 model Verizon had was rather clever even if it was buggy as heck.

7. dstrauss

My quick read is that Huion is a competing technology with same "spec" but not Wacom as such - can you actually use an Intuos pen on their tablet?

8. Cuberdon75

Right, I'm pretty sure it's not Wacom, but does use a resonance technology. I don't know about using an Intuos pen on their tablets; but then I don't need an Intuos pen on my phone, either. I just want whatever works with their tablets, or something like it.

9. dstrauss

For me, until OEM's discover the Note silo design, not interested in a pen for a phone...

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

eSIMs are cool! I have poor 3G with Extended Service (roaming) on the physical Verizon SIM but I just added a prepaid T-Mobile plan on the iPad mini’s eSIM. Switching between the two takes a mere tap and maybe 15 seconds as it sorts things out. Like a manual version of Google Fi but I get to choose my carriers. :thumbsup:

T-Mobile is the only LTE for at least 50 miles from here.

Edit3: tl;dr, don’t use the T-Mobile app to activate a plan on an iPad eSIM. It’s only for newer iPhones at this time, as it warns. I used it on my mini because a tier 2 tech guy told me it was okay despite the warning, and the plan did activate. But it appears that the result was an incompatible device capable of only 2G service on their network. I’m getting a refund. (It took 4 tech calls and extremely varied reasons for my slow service before I got this info.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.