Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm particularly concerned about the selfie cam, that's my only concern...just seems like a potential point of failure.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah me too.
    I don't think there is any such thing as foolproof, but One Plus at least made a good effort. I nearly gave the rep a heart attack when I casually tossed the phone to one of my guy. He caught it. but what was impressive was that the camera retracted virtually instantly. :)

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I would give my _____ to abolish selfie cameras - not only for safety sake (7 deaths at Grand Canyon this year alone) but to free us of all this BS on the front of the phone to accommodate the narcissists...

5. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Wait, seven already?! That’s more than usual. I’ve been reading “Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon” since I’m a volunteer there August - October. It’s astonishing how many foolish deaths there have been, selfies of course being the most recent cause. But even before the selfie-cam there were instances of “back up just a little more” as the one with the camera tried to frame just right. :eek:

[Edit to add quote. The book’s 5th edition was revised in 2016 but much of the content reflects the original publication, which was before the selfie craze.]
    “The most cliché activities that many of us assume are the most common causes of “stupid” falls are posing for a photo on the edge and taking one step back too many, or else taking a photo of the Canyon from the edge of either rim and falling off while gazing absentmindedly through the view finder. Sadly, these clichés match reality.”​

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  6. DRTigerlilly

Just watched xda's review of the Tmobile carrier version, not sounding too good

The unlocked version has marginal improvements but so far the carrier version complains are:
    1. The camera seems bad (potentially can be improved with software, but why was is shipped like this?)
    2. Fit & finish is inconsistent.
    3. badly done curved edges
    4. Laggy OS.
    5. Memory hog.
    6. Slower updates

last three are particularly disappointing, b/c Oxygen's reputation is that it's fast, efficient and gets timely updates.

#5 is a knit pick though...b/c if we're comparing a flagship like Samsung....what updates???

7. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Tams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Can this be far behind...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mocking is dangerous business...

Tams, Kumabjorn, DRTigerlilly and 2 others like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, I would agree that the camera is nothing special, but it's not awful either and is probably with LGs or Motorola which is a tier below Samsung or Google

Fit and finish on the two I've seen was great so it's possible that we got lucky with ours.

As to the curved screen, you either like it, hate it with passion or don't care. I'm in the don't care camp and the brightness,color accuracy and lack of a notch are all big pluses.

Memory hog? no better for worse than the S10+ we also have.
    As to updates, this is the first one plus device we have had in our labs so can't really tell yet. We have gotten two OTA updates since we got the phone. And Samsung has a terrible track record with updates generally though they have been good so far with the S10 plus

My $.02 so take it as such :)

10. DRTigerlilly

doubly glad i opted for the 9 now

in comparison to Samsung.....Oneplus will always be miles ahead, it's just sad to see them seemingly slipping with the things that set them apart....

the models you are using are unlocked? or carrier branded? The unlocked models seem to get faster updates.

Even though i have the note 9...I'm not a fan of the curved screens, I also see it as a point of weakness....and then there are the accidental touches....

but yes, all these phones the differences are marginal...most phones are pretty good at this point.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.