Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

Or maybe Amazon's...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/04/amazon-internet-satellite-network-project-kuiper/

"... With Project Kuiper, it aims to deploy 3,236 satellites to cover areas where about 95 percent of the global population live. ..."​

And this stuff is one of the reasons why I take the 5G hype with a huge grain of salt. If ubiquitous fast mesh cellular connectivity were as simple and relatively low cost as they say, why on Earth (or off the Earth) would there be at least two serious and tremendously expensive projects to accomplish the same goal? The satellite solution will provide much slower connectivity than 5G as well, so it's not an equal alternative.

I was reading a thread yesterday on a full-timer centric RV forum of people lamenting how each cellular generation the coverage area shrinks in out-of-the-way places. A guy mentioned one example, a favorite fishing camp in the Pacific NW that had perfect 1G cellular then lost all contact in the next gen and it's still a cellular hole to this day. Newer isn't always better for basic use, like being able to call for help. (Fortunately there are now small satellite devices that can send short text messages, SOSes and such.)

Tams, dstrauss and Marty like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think economic gain is the primary driver here and it actually indirectly adds weight to my argument that 5g will be a disruptive game changer.

I'm also a believer in the change wave theory of tech, that once in a generation or so, a serious paradigm shift occurs and with that there is lots of experimentation and innovation that comes along with it.

To wit:
    Desktop PCs- which really started to take off with powerful enough applications to make them a viable alternative for businesses and then affordable decent quality portables to take them in to the consumer mainstream.

The internet was the next major wave, which made indirectly made Wifi a base requirement but also gave us things like Chrombooks and 2 in 1's

I think the next wave belongs to the always on, always connected device is and whether it's 5g or something else, it's coming quickly.

Now if you want to discuss societal impacts of all this as my daughter and I like to do..... :)

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

So i bought the Note 9, and a squaretrade warranty.
    After years of complaining about toothpick pens. I actually like the Note 9 pen...though I had dreams of using the SGB12's pen when I was getting it. Miles above the silo-ed pens found in Toshiba devices.

Bronsky, djas and violajack like this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

@DRTigerlilly glad you got one too! I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying mine. I'm glad I sprung for the 9.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

It's a nice device and feels somewhat future proofed.
    What did you get for screen protection? The curved screen seems to make that particularly difficult.

6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I.got whatever curved glass protector Amazon recommended. It's okay. It gets the job done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Has anyone here taken a look at the new OnePlus 7 Pro? We got one in for testing yesterday and I snagged it to try out for the weekend before giving to to my folks for formal testing.

So far I'm very impressed. The build quality which I found lacking the last time I tried out OnePlus is outstanding and it feels every bit as good in hand as a S series Samsung or the iPhone.

The Android is nearly stock (One Plus calls it Oxygen OS) and the only real differences I've seen so far is some different colors and arrangement in the settings menu and the launcher.

Running one quick internal benchmark on it just out of curiosity, it was the fastest Android device we tested even beating out the current champ which was the Samsung S10 plus by just over 10%.

The biggest surprise though is the display. It is truly beautiful and NO NOTCH. I thought I had gotten used to the notch in my iPhone to the point of ignoring it but using the 7 Pro and then switching back, all of the sudden that notch on the iPhone looks awkward at best and down right ugly at worst.

Side note to the above: I'm not a selfie taker so having a front facing camera is not high on my requirements. The OnePlus has the little pop up camera for selfies etc.

What was interesting was that I asked the engineer why they went that way (I would think the camera would be vulnerable to bumps and dirt). His response was that they came up with it out of necessity. The designers wanted an all screen minimal bezel phone but couldn't purchase in any quantity any displays with a notch or cut out and they lacked the manufacturing to make the modifications themselves. So the pop up camera became their best option.

So long story short, this is a really nice phone and when you consider the price $700 US it already seems to be an outstanding value. No pen support of course.

PS: The engineer also said that is works great with the Microsoft launcher and that they tested it with the launcher extensively during development, He didn't specify precisely why but did say MS "bought a bunch of them"

JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Selfies - only photography with a full size tablet surpasses the stupidity, self-absorption, and annoyance of selfies...

Some day I'll express my true feeling about selfies...

Oh yeah - memojies...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Definitely, it looks fantastic. If I wasn’t so down on Google for the merciless tracking and the thoughtless cancellations of products and services, I might even be interested. I wish Apple would produce a similar affordable all screen iPhone, but the chances of that are exactly zero.

dellaster likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That high?

JoeS likes this.