Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I rad somewhere that they could hide them with traffic lights and those big road signs showing upcoming crossings.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes that's true. I've seen demos where they were integrated in to right of way signs and even caution lights

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, I can see how 5G could be a huge game-changer in areas that aren't presently served by either 4GLTE or high speed wireline broadband - if your optimism plays out. But what I don't see is why/how it will be a major game-changer in metro areas (I live in DC metro), where we already have decent 4GLTE and plenty of cheap gigabit wired service. Sure, gigabit + wireless will be cool for those rare cases in metro areas where you really gotta download a huge file and can't access wifi, and it will be nice to have one, fully wireless source for all gigabit+ service, but when I think of how it will change work and life for me and my community members I can't really see it. And if it costs significantly more due to tiered/time-based pricing, I would - if I could - choose to stick with what I have.

Do we have the potential for 5G to only provide a costlier way to access the Internet at high speeds for metro users who already have it pretty good and a long wait for "fly over" users to benefit? Or, am I missing the point of 5G speeds such that it will meaningfully benefit all but the most data-hungry users/applications in metro areas, where we already have very fast access at reasonable cost?

I don't think the economic analysis is in yet on the financial tradeoff between smaller numbers of towers versus orders of magnitude more access points the size of stop signs - or is it traffic lights? I think most of this will take 2-3 years to really shake out. IMO - and it's only an opinion - I tend to think 5G is mostly an industry ploy to drive massive investments in networking equipment and end user devices - essentially require a complete replacement of all existing equipment - and the only "game-changing" will be the enabling of massive bandwidth-intensive applications in places where wireline gigabit+ service is not now available. Has anyone here looked into how many important "games will be changed" by this except if it brings the *first* high speed bandwidth to certain regions - of the world?

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What about the potential health risks?
    Like you, I'm kinda skeptical about this whole thing. I believe the gains of 5g will be only marginal at best. I mean, we already have fast connections for streaming movies and all, not like we're collating data from telescopes to get another pic of a black hole.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

But it'll mean Microsoft can deliver a broken feature update in mere seconds! What's not to like? :p

desertlap, dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

Screenshot_2019-04-28-12-07-44_compress_43.jpg

desertlap, dstrauss and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. desertlap

@lovelaptops, You have some good points and of course I'm prognosticating myself but I think the design of 5g and all its associated have benefits both in dense urban areas and rural areas but for different reasons.

For rural areas, the mesh design and smaller lower power access points will make it easier to provide coverage where it doesn't currently exist. It may not be the highest performance, but it will at least provide access.

I've seen prototype access points that are solar powered and because it's a mesh design they could actually provide access without a wired data connection by connecting to other access points. Obviously this has limits if you have a bunch of peers and no central data source, but the very nature of being remote means you wont normally have a bunch of clients at any given point. Consumers will drive that type of expansion

Urban areas have different issues and drivers. For instance there are parts of Manhattan where you have access, but at any given time of day, your speed will vary greatly. eg. I can get 40mbps at 4:30 am but am lucky to get 10mbps at 8:30 am. Because of the small size , and mesh nature, they can much more easily provide higher and more consistent performance. That will be mostly business driven and I already know that the current state is a pain point for businesses with a lot of field based workers.

Think of UPS for instance who would much prefer better real time tracking of packages and drivers, but reliability and availability is still an issue to the point that their package scanners still have to do a store and send later option for data transfer.

And I think 5g will be the real driver of new IOT type applications.

Last but not least, the portability of these points could be an advantage too. Think of something like a Superbowl. I went to one a few years ago and my service was a times un-usable. For me as an individual that's no big deal but if I was a first responder in the area...

Again these are just my musings and opinions, but I see so many ways that this will be better that I can't imagine that it wont take off.

Of course if the carriers get to greedy it could stifle this in the short term, but better faster connections are in everyone's best interests long term.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@lovelaptops and @desertlap - you are BOTH wrong - we just need to wait for Elon's 4,000 satellites to set us all free...

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. desertlap

ha! That's old tech, i'm waiting for a future where we are the access points, now there would be mobility...

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap