Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah that seems to be the latest trend.
    Marketing: "We need bigger screens"
    Engineering: "Its already getting too wide to hold in one hand"
    Marketing: "well just make it longer"

I saw one of the new Sony Experia 10 plus yesterday which has a 21:9 aspect ratio and is over 6.5 inches long.. It looked like one of Sonys old Bravia remote controls with 178 buttons.

Bronsky, dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Been test driving the chromium edge preview and I can't help but think it's the real deal. It lets you install almost every website as an app and open and interact with it in its own window. I've just installed most of the apps that I use on Android on my SGo. What's left is the annotation feature.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. desertlap

That sounds good!. Have you tried it with SharePoint yet? The last time I played with it a few weeks ago I was getting certificate errors on our sharepoint site. I reported it at the time but MS didn't respond yet.

4. nnthemperor

Sorry, I don't use SharePoint.

5. desertlap

Thanks for the quick answer, One more question. How about any of the Google's g-suite, aka Docs, Sheets etc.?

6. nnthemperor

Didn't try those, not in Google's ecosystem, but if it's any help, I got Google maps, photos and Google keep all installed as apps and the work perfectly well. So, I guess those will also be ok.

desertlap likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

One more thing though, you'll need to go to edge://flags and enable most of the features. It even had pull down to refresh.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

As long as I get a similar amount of writing space, I'm okay with it. I have not liked the evolution of the GN8 and GN9 displays because of the curved lens and long body type, causing a reduction in usable display real estate for writing over that of my GN5. The new integrated infinity display looks like it might be an improvement over those two models.

I'm really upgrading for the 5G, dust/water resistance, increased battery life, additional storage, SD card capability, up-to-date software and USB-C connector. If I get a bit more screen space, more the better.

Looks like both Samsung and Verizon are going to be getting more of my $$ starting later this year, given the premiums being charged for the 5G hardware and Verizon's premium for the service.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The cash grab with 5g is looking even worse than the switch to 3g years ago - it’s going to be tiered by volume - Rod Stephensons dream over at ATT.

10. desertlap

Thanks that's helpful. I haven't really spent much time with it yet but I know our customers will ask us. There is a resistance among some to actually install googles apps for spying concerns. I think that is off base .

Another valid reason though is that some people just like working within the browser for as much as possible.

nnthemperor likes this.