Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

dellaster and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Bronsky likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

hiramkey and Bronsky like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not about any stigma, leave that to the Koreans. The Japanese consumers are very difficult to please, and foreign companies find it very hard to make inroads into the market. Only Apple and a few others have actually made it here, but that's in the phone market (that also includes Samsung, Huawei and Asus) local companies have far better products and after market services to offer.
    And, Samsung does have a huge presence in Japan, just as Asus, Microsoft, Huawei and Apple, and these others offer international warranty. There's no excuse for Samsung not to.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from Docomo says Docomo XI on the front Galaxy Note on the back and at the bottom in smaller print Samsung. So it is there it just isn't very prominent.

Also, I have yet to see a Korean or Chinese car in Japan.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

When I visited Tokyo 2 years ago, I did see a Genesis Equis parked on the street. But, then again not that many people know it's a Korean car or from Hyundai.

7. nnthemperor

That's my point, a lot of companies pulled out of Japan because they couldn't break into the market. American cars are not popular here but it's not because of any hatred for Americans. I once saw a Hyundai with a group of friends and the one thought we all had was, who the f@#$ in their right mind would live in Japan and import a Korean car. For the record, none of us were Japanese.

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It is prejudice. Not in the horrible ways it manifests itself in some places, but in terms of them thinking of their products as superior. Now, in some cases that is the case (and in the past was more likely). Now though, for the same price, you can get better from non-Japanese companies in many cases. Just look at the laptops available. Most from Japanese companies are outdated rubbish.
    I've seen laptops 'updated' and they've been slow as molasses. Now, being cheap is universal, but usually often it's down to just getting the cheapest, not some misplaced notion that one's own products are better.

Perhaps I'm just jaded from being from the UK, where if we went with native only products the country would just collapse.

Hence the bitching about older people. ;p K-POP is very popular, and as around the world, many of the older people just don't get it. The youth will, in general, have no qualms with using products from foreign companies. That doesn't affect the current support situation though, as it's not the youth in charge of companies and governance.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6.75" display and 5G varient means it's time for an upgrade. My poor Note 5 is quite scarred with spider webs in the glass back from drops and a crack in the display that is subsurface but doesn't interfere with its performance. To top it all, I'm just now filling up my 32GB of internal storage. https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/79801-verizon-confirms-there-5g-enabled-galaxy-note-10.html. I expect that the 5G varient will be expensive.

10. nnthemperor

6.75" sounds great, but what's the ratio. If it's the long and narrow body type, then it won't be any better than your note 5.