Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Weren't people doing that with the first Yoga?

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I had a Yoga RT, which I think came out a bit after the first Yoga and I don't remember anything on the display like that.

3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I owned the original Yoga and don't recall anything like that. I think it must have been a different early convertible.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Marty and Bronsky like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Weren't people doing that with the first Yoga?..>>

Apparently not, given the intervening posts, but this particular recollection was years ago, well before the Yoga...

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

In that particular case, it's mainly to do with Japan's ****ed up attitude to South Korean products (although that seems to only be with middle-aged people and older and even then...) You still can't buy a 'Samsung' phone there, but a 'Galaxy', yep!

That said, yes, Samsung's international support is dire. You could take your product with you to South Korea and I'd assume they'd tell you to take it back the country/region you bought it in. One good thing about the EU is that it makes companies like Samsung offer support throughout all countries in the EU. For instance, I got a Samsung laptop from Germany, but the UK support had to deal with it (they were arses about it and took their sweet time, but they did sort my issue out).

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder what's the basis of that your assessment. Samsung and LG products have wider acceptance in Japan. They're up there with Sony Xperia. Even Huawei and Asus are widely popular here.

Yeah, Korean companies and their support leaves much to be desired. Had a similar experience with Asiana airlines, racked up 60k miles in their mileage program for 10 yrs now and still haven't been able to use it. Each time they find a way to pile up charges that make using it even more expensive than just paying for a ticket. In contrast, United airlines just let's you use it with ease and even pay in cash whatever the extra if your mileage falls short of the required for your destination.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Part of my point was that they are popular, but you won't see the names of the actual companies in many places and they have minimal official presence. They are known by their brand names and this is at least in part due to historic prejudice against them. Want a Samsung smartphone? It won't have Samsung written on it anywhere apart from the manual. Even the batteries don't have 'Samsung' on.
    I've had several co-workers (exclusively older) comment on my Samsung heavy set-up (mainly from outside Japan, so only my phone doesn't have 'Samsung' on it). And not positively.

In some areas, native brands are also much preferred. White goods, TVs, etc.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...this is at least in part due to historic prejudice against them...>>

...World War II. There's no grudge like an old grudge...

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What about the younger crowd? Given the popularity of K-pop idols in Japan (all of Asia in fact) and the penchant for Samsung to plaster them with logos :p, I can't imagine, they would have the same stigma.

Any thoughts/experiences?