Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I frankly think it's ridiculous... Even though it's no longer new... The Note 9 is still a pricey phone... Samsung needs to do better

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's my biggest knock against Samsung in general. They still seem to be in the mode of a "we'll support it for two years and then you are on your own " mode that's a hang over from the subsidized phone era.

That lack of sustained support really hurts them in the US corporate market which I suspect is a big reason they still haven't gotten any sustained success with their PCs for instance
    Plus you add in other small things like making the buying of some accessories such as extra ac adapters, device sleeves or pens an overly complex and opaque process. eg. getting the pen that comes with the GB2 a service part.

Contrast that with Dell which regardless of what you think of their products, when you buy anything in their business lines you get an entire road map, including the expected EOL date, list of accessories and service spare items etc.

Tams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Add to that Samsung's refusal to extend warranty across borders. That's why I'll think twice before buying any of their products above $300. With Microsoft, HP, and even ASUS, I get my US-bought devices serviced in their Japan service centers with free pick up and delivery, but with Samsung, they just tell me I can't.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. desertlap

Not an excuse but a partial explanation, but trade laws play a big factor in that. in other words if Samsung themselves doesn't have their own corporate presence in the country, it is for all intents and purposes the product of the company that imports it for all matters like warranty compliance and with laws related to things like what bands cellular products can operate on for instance.

That's why Google and Apple always have an actual physical presence in any market that they actively sell to.

I know from the limited business that we do in some of the pan-pacific markets that It can get unbelievably complex and expensive. Just as a for instance with us, a $100 out of warranty repair of a device in the US costs the equivalent of $340 US dollars to do in the Philippines

Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure there's a Samsung Japan, though I'm not sure they cover windows pcs?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6. desertlap

I don't know. To make matters even more complex, with Samsung specifically, their PC business is separate from their phone business which is separate from their memory business, which is separate from their display business.... you get the idea.

And BTW: If/When Brexit goes through a lot of tech will get considerably more expensive and/or impossible to get in EU countries especially the smaller ones. Most of the mainstream tech companies currently have their EU presence in London

Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Bishop, Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  8. desertlap

Me too most likely.

It would seem to me that the biggest challenge they are facing with this tech is people. Specifically they probably have made a plastic that can stretch and then come back numerous times under consistent repeatable conditions.

The challenge is doing it under the range of ways a person might open the phone. Just in the very brief time I saw it, I saw one person two hand it by grabbing the top and bottom edges and another use their thumb on one hand. Obviously the amount of physical pressure and perhaps more importantly torque in any given spot are going to vary greatly just in those two scenarios.

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

re Brexit wouldn't surprise me if they moved headquarters...alot of Banks have already done that

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Tams likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The best part is that some people pulled off part of the screen because they thought it was just a protective layer...>>

...This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. Years ago I had an HP convertible (...I think it was...) that had a light matte layer over the screen. The edges of the layer were exposed and it looked for all the world like a protective film. I had a strong hunch that it wasn't and resisted the urge to peel it off, however a few other users had no such inhibition. I remember seeing a few anguished posts from people who, too late, realized the truth.

But in my mind, it was the OEM's fault; they should have known that an exposed layer invites mischief...!