Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A very interesting observation - all we need is Mr. Balmer’s laugh and “$2000 unsubsidized and it doesn't even have a keyboard” speech.

Look how that worked out for MS (and Nokia)...

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm glad the Dex thing came up again. My note 9 came and I have a USB C dock, so I tried it. It's pretty neat. Not that I can ever just hide up in the office during the day, but it's neat to see the usability. I'm looking forward to the Nextdock 2. It's supposed to ship sometime in the fall, but who knows with Kickstarter stuff.

nyb72 likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

This Dave 2D YouTube hands-on provided me the best feel for the Galaxy Fold thus far. The visible bend isn't near as funky as I was thinking. (But still way too expensive for my blood.)

4. violajack

From the Verge review (Galaxy fold), I found this bit very interesting:

But think about the social rules of a work meeting: somebody messing around on their phone is a jerk, but somebody using a tablet is more likely to be doing something relevant. The Fold feels like a different device with different social rules, and that’s fascinating.​

Thoughts?

The whole last section in general is very interesting. The idea that the small screen is perfect for doing little things, and then putting it away. And the fact that it takes that extra bit of effort to open it up and use the main screen prevents a quick notification check from turning into a rabbit hole of mindless scrolling. This is the only review I've read so far, but I'm curious if others are finding a similar change in their usage patterns with this vs a traditional smart phone.

desertlap and JoeS like this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, as of the One UI / Pie update (and out of the box for the S9 and Note9 and newer), DeX is compatible with any USB-C HDMI output.

nyb72 likes this.
  6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's true, I was lax with that wording... all my usbc-hdmi adapters activate DeX mode after Pie update. The one pictured is a CFORCE 002 and it's the smallest one I can find so far.

I also have a DeX cable but the cable is long and bulky. I find with an adapter, I can choose a thinner gauge HDMI cable that stores a little easier.

Also noticed with the pie update, the Note 8 runs much cooler (barely warm to the touch)in DeX compared to Oreo (where it quickly got hot). I think Samsung even says we no longer need the cooling dock.

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I find it very true in meetings. I feel like when someone is on their phone, it feels far more clandestine and you wonder if they are texting someone. A tablet, with it's far bigger screen, is much harder to hide. And one assumes they are taking meeting notes.
    Also, I think people associate phones with cellular connectivity, so it looks as though they are communicating with someone outside the meeting. At least with tablets you feel less likely they are doing the same.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a good catch that I overlooked in my first read and he may be on to something. e.g

In my company the start of a major meeting begins with the admonishment to put away your phones. But plenty of people have open laptops or tablets without so much as a single comment.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I've changed my mind on the Note 9. Samsung doesn't offer/honour international warranties and there appears to be a defect in the adhesive used which creates a screen burn in like effect. The screen has to be replaced.

https://flic.kr/p/PFufzx

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/how-to/horrible-bad-burn-note-9-t3873279

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote9/comments/bem70l/hello_guys_first_time_i_post_and_i_already_saw/

I wanted a dual sim Snapdragon model but the model available in the US is single sim and has a locked bootloader.

The local model costs $500+ more than the US model and is carrier locked.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  10. violajack

Whelp, I've had my note 9 for about 4 days now and it looks fine ;)

Seriously though, that's not burn in, and it doesn't even look that bad. I mean, it's still a defect and should be addressed, but it's not nearly on the level of burn in my spare parts note 4 has.

I am at least really glad I added the Squaretrade warrant to mine. I didn't care enough to look up stuff based on the ebay listing and wanted to make sure I had coverage. I so rarely buy things this close to new and this is the most I've invested in a phone in a while.