Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's what happens when people go searching for complex answers to simple questions. Whoever asked them to defy physics when all we asked for was the elimination of bezels or the smart bezels that'll enable an 8" display on a 6"+ body.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I talk regularly with the engineers that we buy our custom displays from and their reaction when it was announced was "believe it when we see it, you can't bend physics"

And of course lots of "see we told you so" emails when the news broke... Pun intended :)

They think the more practical solution is just to make asymmetrical displays with the tiniest possible bezel on one side that could face each other in a fold type of arrangement.

The reason they haven't produced them to date is because the market wants symmetry on their smart phone.

It will be interesting to see how and when Apple addresses this

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Or Microsoft. Maybe it was smart to sit back and watch the technology kerfuffle while Andromeda waits in the background for the market to express its demand.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh you guys, stop being luddites.

Sure, we say we want companies like MS to be bold with new form factors like Surface Book/Studio, then we act all smug and shoot them down when they aren't perfect.

Face it guys. You know it. I know it. This is a leap in industrial design—and we are all going to be eyeing these, once the price is right. ;)

6. desertlap

Hey, I resemble that remark...
    Seriously though and I think at least @dstrauss has it as well, but I have a newly recognized modern disorder.
    F.A.T.S.
    Which stands for First Adopter Trauma Syndrome...
    I have bought so much tech that was either not ready for prime time or was so rapidly iterated (hello 4k TVs) that as much as I like the idea of something, and believe me the idea of foldable screens had me drooling at first, but what I knew about screen tech and the aforementioned FATS convinced my rational brain to wait and see.

I'm curious about when Huawei devices get out there and there are already rumors of Apple devices and Microsoft (Andromeda Lives!), so I'll be eagerly awaiting them.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

On that note...
    I've been ditching my laptop and tablet lately, and using DeX to do my computing using a Note8. When not in DeX mode, I'm beginning to find that my ideal setup is a second phone (iPhone). One work scenario is having the iPhone handle calls or looking up info while my Note is on webex or looking at a document. Somehow I find two physical screens are a lot easier to multitask than having to manipulate multiwindow on the Note8. This also gives me the best of all OS worlds, specifically FaceTime and an open file system.
    Now I just need a case that can hold both, and make it seem like a folding screen.

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Are you actually running DeX on the Note8 screen? I've seen it used on a larger screen, which makes sense, like a dock, but not just on the Note8 screen itself. It seems very small for that sort of work? How do you use it? Are you still using a keyboard and what not? Just curious.

And yes- I find multiple screens very useful, just like multiple pieces of paper! Old school...

nyb72 likes this.
  9. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

No, I definitely use it on a larger screen like a monitor at work or a flat screen TV from hotel rooms as it was designed.

[​IMG]
    It works well for me because everything I do pretty much exists on Office365.
    This is as compact of a setup I can muster. I found the smallest Dex-capable HDMI-USB-C dongle, keyboard is a Textblade, and mouse is a Elecom Capclip. Everything fits in my pants pockets.

So back to the original point of this thread, my best smartphone companion is... another smartphone for my smartphone... all in the footprint of the Galaxy Fold.

You're made the best analogy about having multiple pieces of paper. It really feels that way, as I couldn't imagine running Dex on the Note's screen. When I don't have a monitor around, I find it far easier to manipulate tasks and apps on separate cell phones. I've tried to use multiwindow on One UI, but it's unintuitive to me, and I sometimes can't seem to grab the "manipulation points" properly. And it's especially frustrating trying to fumble around with this while trying to handle a live call.

What I'm now searching for is a folio style case that can hold an iPhone on one side and the Note on the other. I see on amazon dual pouch cases or holsters. I feel like this is more of an Etsy thing, as it's probably not popular. But I run into people who have personal and work phones all the time, so who knows.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Kumabjorn and desertlap like this.
  10. desertlap

@nyb72 That's a slick setup. I showed it to my daughter who is a note 9 and tab S4 user.

Also the verge posted the first "major" review of the fold this morning. It's a worthwhile read regardless of how you feel about some of his assertions.

The one thing that struck me in this and a couple of other sites posts was really similar to the reviews of the original iPhone. eg. "why do we need this?' and "how is this better?"

I guess time will tell. I'm waiting now for the Razr and possible Andromeda to see if another take on it makes it more compelling

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/19/...bility-foldable-phone-video-performance-price

nyb72 likes this.