Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But apparently there's no market in the US for that "Tons of government and business use of that form factor for data collection, mobile workers etc". How odd.

The Tab 5se lacks a pen so I don't think an 8" one would add it. Nice otherwise if I could stomach 16:10 when a perfectly wonderful 4:3 8" with Pencil is available now, in the US, with Verizon LTE, at a price that's fine with me.

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well put. It's been a sad thing for me with my Tab S2. Initially I thought it would be fine, and maybe it would be if I had never owned an iPad mini 4. Oh well, live and learn. I'll go pay for my error in a few weeks when I replace it with the iPad mini 5. :p

Bronsky likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The issue is that in the US government specifically , but also in lots of corporations, Android is still seen as insecure. My own company tried a couple of Android based devices and they barely sold. We switched them to Windows and they now sell fine. Of course they are half again as big and have 1/3 less battery life....

@Bronsky I can sympathize. I have my own little OS tower of babel in my house. My wife and I are Windows computer/iPhone users. My oldest daughter is a note 9/tab s4/chromebook user, and my youngest son is a Linux fan. Anytime any of us gets a new device, we have lots of "yeah well how does it handle this... " type discussions.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am tired of the tower of babel routine as well, and now I am down to bilingual - iOS and Win10Pro, but I HATE how poorly they work together (or should I say how expertly they AVOID one another).

As for WordPerfect, I could never find anything but a viewer app in iOS - there's WordPerfect Viewer iPad with a stellar 2.3/5.0 rating (a lot of 1 star DO NOT BUY comments). It is Word uber alles anymore.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I think i'm going to get a Note9...

Bronsky likes this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Get a a Samsung Chromebook Pro, install windows on it and deal with 64gb of storage while having a siloed S-Pen.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

I miss the old GTA8SP (2015). I might be getting the new 8. It is releasing in my own backyard after all.

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You guys aren't making this any easy for me. Been trying hard to pull a Bronsky here and tell myself I don't need to buy the mini 5, but each time I get in these forums, I'm reminded why I'm a lesser mortal than my senior colleague @Bronsky.
    And I can't stay away from these forums either.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Addiction is a #@!$% - and being addicted to tablets and this forum is a double down on that addiction!

Kumabjorn, nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The OneNote beta on Android adds a small but hugely convenient feature today, which is the ability to use the S-pen button to erase.

alaskajoel and nnthemperor like this.