Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it out again to see if it's changed from the first time I tried to use it, but unfortunately it doesn't do it for me.

In some ways (good ones), One UI reminds me of iOS. If Samsung simply refreshed the 8" Tab S2 (adding an S-Pen) so that it would run Android 9 & One UI I might not be planning a return to iOS right now.

I'm pretty much convinced that an iPad mini 5 + used/refurb iPhone X combo (since an SE with up-to-date camera ain't happening) would work better for my unique wants and needs. I'll know for sure this summer.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Did you see the new 8" Samsung tablet with siloed SPen? I posted a link in the mini 5 thread.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a letdown compared to the iPad mini 5. Then again, the target was low end markets

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is this it: Samsung Tab A with S-Pen - looks like a non-US release.

6. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

What @nnthemperor said. It's even a poor exchange for my Tab S2 aside from S-Pen. Also, it's not going to be sold in the US. "XDA Developers reports the tablet will sold in Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, the United Kingdom (via Carphone Warehouse), and Vietnam." https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/28/samsungs-new-8-inch-galaxy-tab-a-includes-s-pen-support/

And even if imported the LTE version won't support/be supported on Verizon, so there's no point.

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From what I know about Samsung and their markets that makes sense as a vertical market device. Tons of government and business use of that form factor for data collection, mobile workers etc.

I've said this somewhere in another thread, but we keep hearing rumors of a 8 inch device based on the new 5se. Q3 time frame. Again I emphasize RUMOR.

dellaster likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Guess we don't even merit Samsung's cheap stuff any more...WHY IS IT SO DAMN HARD FOR SAMSUNG TO PUT A SILOED S-PEN IN WINDOWS TABLETS?

Oops, sorry for the rant...but it's a valid question.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Related to all this. I just bought a new Air to evaluate yesterday. This will join my iPhone, mini and 12.9 (and yes I'm a bit embarrassed just typing that, definitely getting in to obsessed territory :) )

But one thing is very clear to me is that IOS scales far better across screen sizes and form factors than Android. Is it perfect? Far from it, but still generations ahead of Android and for that matter windows if we are talking about tablet type usage.

dellaster and Bronsky like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Still waiting for my BB to get a new Mini in. I want to give it a test drive.

What is most attractive to me about the Mini is IOS over Android. Android is a cartoon version of an OS. My problem is that I absolutely love my Galaxy Note phone and intend getting another in the fall. That puts me squarely in the middle of 3 OS's.

I don't get it either. There are at least two windows devices with EMR S-Pens. So, it's not a software issue. How hard can it be to put a silo into a tablet?

Hey, btw, did you ever follow up on whether or not there was ever a Wordperfect for IOS? I have seen reference to it but have never actually found anything but an IOS reader for WP docs.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019