Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

True that (all.) And it has often been the case that the first generations of major hardware generations were clumsy and extremely expensive. Several PDAs and pre-iPhone smartphones come to mind, not to mention the earliest laptops and famously user-hostile but wildly popular Compaq "portable" PCs** weighing some 20+ lbs and featuring 7" monochrome CRT displays (awesome keyboards, though, and amazingly simple to upgrade!) And I do think this is the dawn of a new personal device form factor that bridges the smartphone, tablet and convertible form factors that so many of us have clamored for. I'm just a little disappointed by how primitive, unusable and absurdly priced the first generation products are. I would think the mfrs would have done better to keep these things in labs and alpha testing longer and once the engineering and design challenges were far better overcome and a true understanding of how test users interacted with the devices and what tradeoffs were/were not going to fly with consumers en masses (you don't need to commercially release and gouge your customers to gain that knowledge), that then and only then does it seem reasonable to release somewhat more refined products even if costs at low volumes require very high early adopter pricing. From there the experience curve and economies of scale can work their magic.

** Interesting parable regarding those Compaq "portables: IBM, which created the business/professional PC market and was considered to have unbeatable engineering and manufacturing prowess tried and failed at competing with Compaq and was a non-factor in portable computing until they developed the Thinkpad some 8 years later. In my thesis, above, Samsung is the IBM of foldable, no one is yet the Compaq, and Apple is, thus far, er, the "Apple" of portable computing it was in the 80s and early 90s: no apparent interest or participation at all in foldable, just as it wasn't in portables until the Powerbook (agree with @desertlap on that brand) even though they literally invented the PC category, kind of like they invented the smartphone and tablet categories.

TL;DR - Sorry, you either read it or you skip it; I wouldn't fault you either way!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Think of this as the new era of Alpha-2 by charging an obscene amount of money that the "average" consumer would never pay, but us idiots will do the dirty work for them alpha testing on Gen 0.1 hardware...

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They can charge $2000 for the Fold because they know there are enough arrogant idiots that will buy them just for show off. It is Hi-Tech peacocking.

And looking from the reactions from my female cohorts, it works.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, you'd know the guy has a huge bankroll, or it's completely empty...either way more money than brains

Tams and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Girls like men with more money than brains, easier to manipulate.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

hiramkey, Tams, nnthemperor and 2 others like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of course that doesn't explain why my wife chose me, I'm lacking in either :)

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Some of us lack ambition.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Hey, not everyone does. I like my men like my coffee, a polite no thank you to both.

9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

So, on the topic of smartphones.....I really like my note 4 but I'd like USB-c charging and a faster processor. I also go through the battery at least 3 times in a day (either swapping batteries or charging) so longer battery life is better. I hesitate to get a note 8 because, especially a used or refurb will have already worn the battery a non-trivial amount. Should I upgrade to a note 9, or is the note 8 good enough?

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Wow, I've fallen way down on the list!

Also, my cargo pant of choice has been discontinued and I can no longer find replacements in my size on e-bay. Still haven't found a suitable replacement. The inner side pocket was a perfect holster for my GN4. I'm now on my second GN4. I just can't give up the swappable battery.

Tams and dstrauss like this.