Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Also, wouldn't it make more sense if it folded the other way, from top to bottom rather than right and left? The one screen mode should have a bigger screen. Or maybe my eyes deceive me?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

From Samsung Korea:

dstrauss and Azzart like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought the same.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, you know what they say about great minds, right?

They're just like poor minds and think alike.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm curious about what people think the ideal screen sizes are (phone, tablet, laptop) as well as aspect ratio.
    For me.
    Phone: Size about 5.5 inch maximum, no preference on aspect ratio

Tablet: Size ~10 inches. Aspect ratio 16:10 which to me is a good compromise between video, ebook , productivity and web viewing. The tablet also is the closest to my all purpose device

Laptop: Size ~13 inch. Aspect ratio 3;2 which is ideal in my opinion for productivity (office, coding, web, CAD etc. ). 15 inch and up just isn't portable enough for me and 10 inch makes things a bit tight.

So the qualifiers to this are of course what you use the device for most and secondarily etc. For instance I can see the virtues of 16:9 and or a 15 inch display if you watch a lot of Netflix or Hulu.

The other less talked about factor is the underlying UI. One of the main reasons that the iPad and MacBook users have such strong adherents is that the OS and UI are really optimized for both the screen size and aspect ratio. In other words they make the best use of the real estate. Of course the ability to tightly control all aspects of the device help a lot, plus they don't make a huge variety of devices.

This is of course a magnitude more difficult on Windows or Android because of the more open nature and multiple manufacturer approach.

But to give one specific example, my daughter has a Tab S4. In many ways its the equal or even superior to the iPad (amoled display) and it has more or less the same aspect ratio as the iPad. However the apps are really hit and miss as far as how well they use the screen. Samsung's own apps and the stock google apps are pretty good, Microsoft is variable with Word and One Note being decent and excel not so much. And Adobe is just.....awful.

Anyway my $.02 but I'm very interested in others thoughts

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Answers are going to be all over the map. I doubt you'll see anything close to a consensus in any of the categories.

I'm fully retired now, I've allowed my freelancing to die down to the occasional existing client request, so my needs and wants have simplified. My Hades Canyon NUC with 15.6" 4k/HDR/FreeSync monitor covers games and anything serious.

For couch consumption nothing beats an 8" 4:3 tablet with a good screen. I had a 9.7" iPad Pro LTE and returned it for an iPad mini 4 LTE and was very happy with it for a year. It's got to be one-hand holdable for long periods, like a paperback. I kick myself for selling it, but I thought a Note8 would cover media consumption well enough while giving me a Wacom-in-silo for my volunteer work. It would simplify things to two devices as well.

The Note8 has been great, but if, say, Apple comes out with an iPad mini 5 with Pencil & LTE I could go with that and drop the big phone. I was perfectly happy with an iPhone SE before.

In the future something like a refined Galaxy Fold Note would suit me as the only device aside from my NUC desktop.

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, I'm not expecting anything approaching consensus but what and why is always useful and interesting to me. My involvement with our support group makes diversity of information valuable.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Phone as small as possible. Imagine something with the first iPhone X size but full screen and it would be perfect.

Tablet I think the new iPad Pro 11" to be excellent in terms of size and weight. Next would be th e 12.9 model which has a large display but still manages to be very small and light.

Tablet pc the 15" Surface Book 2.

dstrauss likes this.