Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I didn't say "new;" I said "handy."

However, I guess it isn't based on Bluetooth?

2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

@Steve S - ...the Note8...is GREAT:D ...and, yes, the little pen away from its momma will bring anguished cries from the Note8!

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Note 5 does it as well. My alarm is on and has never gone off. It's just so convenient to put the pen back in the slot before putting it away that I don't leave it anywhere. I can't tell you how many SPens I lost from my Asus Vivanote 8.

4. Steve S

Still getting used to my new GN9, which arrived yesterday. Having used a Lumia 950 for the last couple of years, I have some re-learning to do. However, I'm already regretting the loss of some Windows Mobile features like the active tiles and even the directory structure! On the plus side, however, I can now install apps that were never going to be available in the Microsoft ecosystem (in fact, that's why I finally changed back to Android)...

PS: I sure wish that someone on these forums had suggested that I pick up a GN! I've been missing out on this thing for months!!

Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

I carry a Wacom Surface Pen with me. The S Pen of the Note 5 stays siloed.

6. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Two mornings ago I was careless as I was hiking my rounds in the campground (as I'm doing right now, BTW). I fell down some rocks, lost some skin, gained some bruises, slightly dislocated my shoulder (still stiff)... But my GN8 in its SEIDIO holster case, along with its S Pen in the silo, survived unscathed. :thumbsup:

Not so the ink pen that I carry around to make notes to leave for campers. The capacitive mesh on the tip was completely torn off making it useless for writing on a screen. I had bought a pack of these before I got my GN8 to try out. They were very cheap, fortunately.

20180829_101149-01.jpeg

Now if that had been a non-siloed Wacom pen in that pocket... Ouch! The nib would be gone at the least. I'd be spending money for new ones, assuming it was replaceable. Or a new Wacom pen. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Telstar1948, Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. Bread

Bread Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow! That's great, I wish Samsung advertised that the pen still works without charge!

My only "complaint" about EMR is that I heard that I can't use those cases that have magnetic backs to use for mounts. There are plenty of other options to mount it though.

9. Steve S

Bronsky likes this.
  10. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

@Bread - Don't know if this is on point or not, but my son has gone to an Otter Box case with belt clip for his Note8 and a nice suction cup mount on his truck dash for when he's in his truck and he put magnets on his clip so that the Otter Box is easy to take off as opposed to wrestling with the clip arrangement - apparently the belt clip is just the base he uses for the magnets. He's not reporting any issues with the Note8/magnets in that configuration.

Bread likes this.