Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I use my Note8 for meeting notes all the time. Yes, it's fairly narrow in portrait mode, but most of the time I take notes on it in landscape.

I mean, if I turn the Note landscape, it's actually wider than the Surface Pro 1/2 in portrait (as well as the Cube Book I use these days). Sure, I can't see as many lines at once, but it's only typically important for me to see more at once later on, when I'm reviewing the notes.

But I agree. Curved edges on a device for notetaking are just stupid.

djas, Bronsky, Azzart and 1 other person like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

3. djas

djas Graffiti User

:( Wife is soooo hoping for Pencil support.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Me too - Kuo is not 100% so maybe he blew that part of the prediction, but he is a supply source analyst so you'd think he'd know if it contained the requisite digitizer -

HOWEVER, it has been nearly two years since Cook let slip that the Apple Pencil experience on an iPad and an iPhone was amazing - here's hoping the 6.5" does get Pencil support (and a smaller, more pen-sized device with an eraser). The lack of any upgrade for the iPad Mini this go-around, which would be the PERFECT SIZE note taking device, still leaves hope for the 6.5" X.

5. Bread

Bread Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, I didn't want to make a new thread just for this question and I saw discussion about it in this one...

Does anybody know if the new Galaxy Note 9 (Note9 ?) S-Pen is still EMR? The Bluetooth features and need to charge it make me think otherwise. Does that mean it's likely AES or something else?

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I know this is old, but I just saw it an am intrigued. I have an old GN4 in a drawer; it just got too slow. Is yours running fairly smoothly? Did you do a factory reset? Are you using it as a phone, or just a pocket note taker? Thanks.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Since my washer and dryer are Samsung too, they have me coming and going.

8. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Works great for me. Since I bought it used (and recently) it’s been factory reset recently. But it’s running fine, not noticeably slower than the Nexus 6P it’s taking over for. It’s my phone too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anybody know if the new Galaxy Note 9 (Note9 ?) S-Pen is still EMR?..>>

...Yes, it is. It's the Bluetooth functionality that requires the quick charge; if the power is exhausted, the pen will still work.

And a handy feature: The phone will sound an alarm if you walk away and the pen is not in the silo! (I'm guessing that it's based on losing the BT signal...)

Bread and dstrauss like this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

That might might not be a new feature. If I start walking with my Note 8, screen off and the S-Pen not in the silo, an alarm sounds.
    20180828_221241.jpg