Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that the curved screen does take away a little space for note taking...other than that, I don't mind the curved screen at all. I have used the Note8 in landscape for note taking at times but usually use it in portrait mode when using the Spen.

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Further to the Note 5. If only the L950Xl and Note 5 be combined, it will makes the smartphone of my dream. If only the L950XL support the Surface Pen. Alternatively, if only the Note 5 supports Continuum. On that note, I'm not plugging (really I don't), just showing what consumers are missing with Continuum:

3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's not the actual millimeter that's shaved off that's the problem--after all without the curve that millimeter would be occupied by an unusable bezel--rather it's the *feeling* that you have to watch out for your pen tip gliding off every time you approach the end of a line, or when you set the pen down at the beginning of a line.

It's absolutely gobsmacking to me that one of the world's two premier hardware companies could make and then repeat this mistake on three successive devices. The biggest, most obvious design blunder I know of in the history of smartphone design.

Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For time entries is there a software app, or are you just taking handwritten notes - 21st century "old school?" Also, do you take it out of your pocket every time you sit down, or is it the new foldable phone we all know we really want?

If the curves were flattened out it would be difficult to old the width - it gives you the illusion of a bigger screen in the smaller dimension.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Is it really advertised as 18:9? Isn't that just 2:1?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

For my freelance small consulting biz, I subs to Zoho Invoice for all my time-tracking, billings etc. Has app support for Windows, iOS and Android. FYI

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use a PDF timesheet form and Samsung's WriteonPDF app. Here is the same form when I was using it on my Surface 3 with Drawboard. It works surprisingly well on my Note 5. Even though the screen is much smaller, the entries are actually clearer because of the better inking with the EMR S-Pen.

I pull up a clean form every day and save it under a new date. Then I just use the annotation feature to hand write my time and, at the end of the day, send it to my bookkeeper. In that way, I am never without a timesheet.

As for the phone in my back pocket … never had a problem. Maybe its due to a lack of junk in the trunk.:thumbsup:

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Great - thanks.

PS - from just a few days of LTE in this nSP, you're going to love having it in the device.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I was all set to get a note 8, but then my washing machine gave out. I really like my new washer, but it blew my phone budget, so I got a note 4. I am finding that it's awkward to write longer form notes on such a small device, but for quick notes, it's great. I'll still prefer my 10"er for note taking, but it's been pretty fun to finally have a note phone. I'm a fan of the user replaceable battery. I keep trying out the latest note phones and agree that the narrowness is even more awkward. I'm hoping this note 4 lasts me a while.

Tams, djas, nnthemperor and 1 other person like this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Official specs: 1440 x 2960 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (~521 ppi density).