Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I hope that is right, but as the constant "glass half empty" guy, that will mean juggling two pens with no silos. I so had hopes of escaping the Apple prison (I am going to stop calling it a walled garden) with a GN8 compatible with the GB12. Now I'm willing to even give up Facetime (they can call grandma) - if only I didn't miss out on iMessage.

2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

My Note8 provides a note function in my pocket whenever I need it, and too many times you don't know when you will need it - someone rattles off their phone number or address for you, you suddenly remember something you need to do & don't want to run the risk of forgetting it later, you need to draw out a simple map for someone, most anything that's not too complicated but needed right then - that's the beauty of the Note8 because you're not losing pieces of paper or looking for a pen, and it's all in your pocket as part of your phone with all its other capabilities. I really don't mind making short notes in a meeting on my Note8, brainstorming lists etc. It's great, but it's not my laptop or larger mobile device for doing real composition etc. Just having it available at a moment's notice is wonderful. I really don't enjoy carrying around larger devices so the Note8 fills any functions I need while out and about.

As far as a new iPhone with a pen, I don't mind the iPhone as much as the idea of having to carry a golf bag to carry the pen! If they can't silo it, it just isn't worth having...for a phone, anyway.

3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

06352_fl.png
    I remember back in the day I'd keep one of these in my back pocket for taking short notes, people's phone numbers, shopping lists, etc. Along with cheap ball point pens—one or two in my pocket, of course, and several in the car, at work, school locker, and wherever else I would spend time since the darn things broke or disappeared at an alarming rate. Fortunately they were dirt cheap and in a pinch I could always borrow one from somebody or buy a cheap pack from the nearest convenience store.

My Note 8 does an awful lot more things than the memo pad did and I don't lose the pen. It even has a slightly larger writing area. :newpalm:

Telstar1948, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

The wife is so excited about the prospect of Pencil-supported iPhone that she "instructed" me to sign-up at MR forums so she can joined the discussion. She is envious with the way I use my Note 5 - GTA10SP before that - as a digital notebook & a phone.

Unfortunately, the "discussion" gets so toxic to the point that she left. And she is a full-time Apple user....(sigh)

As for me: I once thougt that the Note series is too small for "serious" notetaking hence why I used to stick to bigger Spen-equipped tablets. Not anymore. Samsung has tweaked its Spen-supported softwares (Air Command, S Note, WriteonPDF etc) to be very usable & inkable. Coupled that with Nebo Myscript (which sync to Nebo on my Surface 3) & of course, OneNote, the Note 5 is a very capable, portable & inkable Moleskine, email & messaging wonder machine.

The only piece missing, imo, is Continuum, wired or Miracast. I understand the new Note 9 has DeX built-in. On that note(ha!): arg!

Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That is why I like the original Note the best, had the widest body of them. Unfortunately the battery is stone dead. But I hang on to my Note 3 for the same reason. I too think they need child bearing hips.

The Huawei sounds interesting, would you happen to know if it works on Au or SoftBank?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use it constantly during the day to record something I would otherwise forget. There are clearly things it can't do, but it's let me leave my Surface 3 in the briefcase most of the time. In landscape, I do time entry for billing. When I'm in jeans, it's in my back pocket. In a suit, it's in the inside jacket pocket.

I guess it depends on your use. I love mine.

Cuberdon75, Telstar1948 and djas like this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

I so love this discussion. I straight away knew that Samsung has a gem on their hands when it rolls out the first Note. For those of us who understand what the device is use for, and it's value to us, the digital inkers - it it indispensable. Therefore, I am flabergasted when tech reviewers treat the Note series (and Spen-equipped tablets) as just a regular phablet & tablet and reviewed it as such. It just done my head in.

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/N4P84/softbank-japan/devices

AU might be a wild card, but SoftBank sure works.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The curved screen is a very stupid idea on a penabled device. Limits even more the writing real estate because you can't write quite close to the edge as on a flat screen.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Cuberdon75, Telstar1948 and Azzart like this.
  10. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that the curved screen does take away a little space for note taking...other than that, I don't mind the curved screen at all. I have used the Note8 in landscape for note taking at times but usually use it in portrait mode when using the Spen.