Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Even Daniel Rubino has a messenger bag in his review of the Surface Go. He only wears it the wrong way. :cool:

My day to day one is just smaller.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I’m a landscape designer and contractor, and I work in the field. I definitely don’t have room to carry a “man purse“ on me while working. LOL! Jeans pockets for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

Did it:

SmartSelectGIF_2018-08-17-15-22-27.gif

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

... it will also be contention as the most crazy priced handheld device. They better reduce the size of that pencil or it'll also be in content as the weirdest experience; an accessory that's oversized for the main device.

Sent from mTalk

Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You're missing so much.
    Everyone should have a bag in his life. :D

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can categorically say that inking on a smartphone is more a gimmick than anything productive. It just isn't feasible at all. I don't know how @Bronsky manages to do it, but on my newly bought GN8 I tried and just can't be bothered with it. The 18:9 screen didn't help matters at all, the phone is just too narrow and too long. You'd think a device that's made for writing would be wide enough to give some room. I think Samsung might as well go ahead and cancel the note line if they are going to stick with the 18:9 screen ratio. If only the Huawei Honor Note 10 with it's 6.95" screen or the Xiaomi Mi Max 3 were compatible with the NTT Docomo network, I'd put the note 8 up for sale in a heartbeat.

Sent from mTalk

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Honestly, for inking, I agree. I had a note a few years ago, and was just too narrow for me. However, for quick sketches and notans, color notes and such, I could imagine it would be useful? As an artist. Also, if or when folding phones arrive, I think real, functional, mobile note inking will become a reality for more people.

If I could just smash my 8” Note Tab A in half and make it a narrow tall phone.... heaven!

8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Well, I certainly wouldn't be trying to write War and Peace on my Note 8 (nor on a 12 or 15 inch tablet, either—things of any length are for keyboards). But for short notes and annotations on things? While on the go? With the device in your pocket? Always, always there, including the pen 'cause it's in the frikkin' silo like it should be? It's perfection! ;)

Bronsky, Telstar1948 and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with @dellaster and @Bronsky - if I were not glued to the iPhone universe, I'd be strongly in their camp. You are not going to want to go to a critical business meeting with hours of notes, or class all day taking lecture notes, but marking up some changes in a document on the fly or taking notes in a shorter meeting (or hearing), would be invaluable. My friend LOVES it for home screen grocery lists - maybe others have stellar memories, but old codgers like me would enjoy the second memory.

dellaster likes this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Looks like you'll get Apple Pencil functionality for your next iPhone so the frustration of the walled garden should be eased a bit. :thumbsup: