Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

True, but for a couple of months you'll be the coolest kid on the block.

lovelaptops, nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

...after looking at some reviews on the Note9, I have no reason to move from my Note8. It is truly the best smartphone I've ever had -- not perfect (after all, it's made by Samsung), but then no other phones are either. As far as battery life goes, I suppose on the more extreme end of the user scale, some might have to charge before the tail end of the day. My use falls more into the ordinary range, so I'll have between 50% to 20% left around 10 PM. I've got Samsung's quick charge pad on my desk, so I can give it a squirt if I have to go out for a while, but that's more for my OCD-ish thinking than actual need. Granted, I'm not glued to my Note8 so that I feel I have to check FB, watch YouTube, stream music and all that other stuff that seems to claim the lives of some. My use in those areas is more occasional than regular. However, the Note8 offers everything I can imagine in a phone. The tech-lust for something new is always alive, but if anyone reading this wants a phone that will do virtually anything you like, check out the Note8 -- I highly recommend it.

dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The GN 8 experiment begins next week. I have a "gently" used GN 8 coming from eBay on Monday - $399 thanks to the PRONTO 15 coupon sale that others here alerted us to this week. Like you, I couldn't see paying an extra $600 for the GN 9's bigger battery.

Now we'll see if I can escape the clutches of Steve/Timmy's walled garden...Facetime with the grandkids and iMessage with all of the family are going to be tough cords to cut.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Bronsky's cool so totally transcends whether his S Pen can activate a camera shutter :cool:

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

How indeed are you planning to cope those? I can't tell you how many iPhone addicts (a.k.a. "owners") have told me that these platforms are their sole reason for sticking with iPhones/IOS and that not to have Facteime and iMessage would be tantamount to opting out of the family for them.

6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately that truly is the case for many people. When I switched away from Apple and iMessage earlier this year I quickly found out which family members didn't care enough about me to use SMS/MMS or one of the other alternatives to keep in touch (none of us ever did FaceTime so that was a non-issue). :p

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That’s it in a nutshell - I can feel the daggers headed my way already.

8. lovelaptops

Wow, that says more about people in general than smartphone platforms! I have no doubt that my family and friends would react similarly if I switched from IOS to Android, but since I have never been in the "Apple garden - of snakes, social climbers and either very wealthy or formerly comfortable (just learned a friend of mine - struggling to put 2 children through college and live in a very high cost area - bought iPhone Xs for his wife and 2 children while he soldiers on with his Samsung S6 with a screen so scratched you can barely read emails!)

Before you jump on me for over-generalizing, please know:

1) I'm not extrapolating from one family I know; I'm over-generalizing from many detailed articles and statistical analyses I've read :p

2) I'm not really generalizing from any information source; I've been a closed-minded Apple-hater for about 10 years now! :confused::D

3) I'm sure there are just as many snobbish, social climbing Android users as iPhone users out there; I just choose to associate with many more Android users, because I feel we have superior intellects, more discerning tastes in technology and the correct approach to doing most things as compared to iPhone users, who I assume just blindly buy the newest product, at least bi-annually because, well, that's what they think they're supposed to do and clearly if they do things differently than I do they must be wrong, not thoughtful, uncharitable and most important of all: *they communicate more effectively and waste so much less time than we Android users because their phones always work, so they actually receive and can understand/see/read messages of all kinds, photos, videos sent from other iPhone users and they don't need to constantly spend time online and in forums trying to figure out why their texting app on their 2018 Pixel 2XL phone can't send MMS messages (iPhone users: disregard the term "MMS" because that is an arcanity of technology that you all never have to know or think about because when you want to send a photo or video from your phone you just push a button and instantly your loved-one, friend - even adversary! - receives the "Multi-Media-Service" content and life goes on!

Ok, so I decided I needed to entertain myself a bit at everyone else's expense, so I really apologize. It's just that I really, really don't like iPhones but that pales compared to how much I dislike Apple's entire culture/attitudes and dominance and hate to hear that my friend spent $3,500 dollars buying his family phones they don't need and get zero benefit from, but they have convinced him that they must "keep up with technology" so they'll know when their kids don't answer the phone or ignore their parents' texts, it's on purpose, not because they didn't receive them, or might not have received them, because a picture or video was part of the text and it may just have never gotten to them!

Clearly I can't stop myself, so instead I'm going to stop myself! Before I do, let me say that I have heard the same distressing things as @dellaster and @dstrauss say about how some will just not want to bother installing or taking notifications from a different, non-Apple platform (without affecting their access to messaging of all kinds from all their iPhone friends and family) and that's just a pretty sad comment on how the upper echelons of society (if you own current iPhones you are in the upper echelons!) prioritize who "matters" to them: by whether you use iPhones because if you don't, well, you still matter, but they just won't be able to be in touch very much, or some such nonsense - while your peeps with Android phones may or may not be intentionally ignoring you or their phones may be acting strangely or you are not as tech savvy as you thought and you are not sending texts, photos, etc "successfully" using SMS apps or, something really exotic, like What'sApp, a.k.a., Facebook for people who don't want to read about your life, or the fake news that your demographic, psychographic profiles and what you had for dinner last night suggest you will be willing to believe.

He's on a roll, friends, perhaps a 1-week suspension is what is needed! No, I can and will reign it in. This was self-indulgent fun but there are a couple of real messages in there, though I wouldn't blame you for just tldr-ing the whole post! Peace.

9. djas

djas Graffiti User

@lovelaptops: Thanks. I did read your whole post. Sure do liven up a boring 12 hour night shift. :p
    I leave it at that. I make a point not to get involve in any ecosystems discussion. ;)

Carry on.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

That's a wise policy on your part - though the ground is somewhat softened in this forum for those who don't love ios/Apple. However my purposes were to entertain, maybe blow off a little steam and have a minor rant about the notion of being too lazy to send communications via a different platform even if it means some will be excluded and, wouldn't you know, it might just knock out some friends/family who just can't afford an ios phone. Oh, and, if you are a college student and can't afford an iPhone, just don't eat for a while - *you cannot be a U. S. college student and not have iMessage! Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about your double; hope you're off tomorrow. ;)