Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Yeah, despite all the hip new messaging apps, you're SOL without a phone if you need to contact a US government office or any number of other services. It was crucial for me yesterday when setting up a mail forwarding service, for example. Today I needed to get the USPS address authorization notarized and you can't text or email or "WhatsApp" the county courthouse to check if the Notary Public guy is there, and when. :eek::rolleyes:

I don't even know anybody who uses WhatsApp. A smartphone without a phone would be a crippled device for me. There are still plenty of places in the US "flyover country" where you'll only get phone service, no data, depending on service provider. That won't change in the next decade at least.

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

We do here. All public and governments have WhatsApp hotlines. It's widespread.

Come to think of it, even American companies here sush as 7-11, McDonalds, etc have WhatsApp hotlines.

Different strokes etc :)

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And here they all (well, most of them) has LINE contacts.
    Back in Sweden most people now file their taxes using SMS.

djas likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I'm envious of places in the world that have such advanced cloud access everywhere. However, the point of my examples was that it's very much premature to omit telephony from a smartphone if it's going to be sold in backward places like most of the US, geographically speaking.

nnthemperor, Bronsky and djas like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Galaxy Note Line to Be Cancelled?

Don't know whether or not to put much (or any) stock in this, but Gordon Kelly over at Forbes has reported that the Galaxy Note 9 may be the last of the Note line unless sales are much stronger than expected, even with it's reported two day 4000 Mah battery

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Gordon Kelly over at Forbes has reported that the Galaxy Note 9 may be the last of the Note line unless sales are much stronger than expected...>>

...That speculation isn't new. I've seen other articles in past weeks that offer the same opinion and, of course, if the GN9 doesn't sell well one could reasonably expect it to be the end of the line. Just like the VAIO Z Canvas.

My personal opinion is that the GN may suffer from the fact that it is almost too large to be a phone and it's too small to be a good note keeping tablet. It fails to win over buyers in either category...

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I haven't been paying attention, but the GN is hardly the only phone in it's size range these days. Are they all not selling well?

Personally, I find anything sized smaller than a GN to be too small for anything other than traditional phone calls. I always hated using my phone for anything else until I got a GN. Now it is by far my second most used device after my desktops.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Telstar1948 and Bronsky like this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And here I am wishing the GN lines came with at least 6.9" displays like the Xiaomi Mi Max or that Xiaomi would slap a digitizer sheet on theirs and make my day.

And what is it with network bands that are totally different from country to country? Hard to import a phone that would support the network bands in Japan.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Luft and Kumabjorn like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It looks like I'll be getting 3 years out of my Note 5. If they discontinue the Note series after the 9, I'll go with one until it falls apart in my hands. I love this thing. I do so much more of what I did on a tablet on this Note. I almost never take my tablet out of my briefcase when I'm out of the office.

dellaster and dstrauss like this.