Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's one of the BEST articles I've read in a long time - the real question is why didn't Daniel Rubino write that editorial?

My bet is that the real delay and tamping down of expectations is the fact that a truly "folding" LCD is still a year or more away from practical production - Not Ready for Prime Time so to speak.

It's not about repeat business; it's all about conversions (well, maybe some worry about defectors like me). People who are tired of hassles of any kind in the Android-verse, they want them to come over to iMessage and Facetime as their friends, children, and grandchildren get deeper into the iOS camp.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Microsoft might be afraid that Samsung is going to beat them to production of a practical device. It's just hedging its bets. I can't imagine they don't keep research moving along. It's too attractive an idea to just kill off in its infancy.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think Microsoft was planning to release a dual-screen Andromeda, as many patent diagrams showed, but now fear that Samsung will come out with a true folding display smartphone and make their "premium, game-changer" look lame.

4. dstrauss

I don't know - all of the hoopla has centered on the Breyer renders, which clearly show a folding LCD on the spine, which "insiders" have indicated are close to the real thing.

All of that said, I am still concerned that a truly folding LCD is not out of the labs yet.

PS - if those renders are correct, unless they have distinctly shrunk the pen, the device will be two inches longer than my iPhone X.

5. dellaster

My thought is that they intended to introduce Andromeda with a dual screen, then switch to that rumored folding screen once it's viable. And now it's possible that Samsung (and Huawei) will actually get a folding LCD smartphone out to market early next year—in limited quantities and at an absurd price—which would make that initial Andromeda release unwise.

6. dellaster

7. dstrauss

Well, if it IS two screens, then I think the only impediment is their spineless leader...and remember, it is Satya who deep-sixed the Surface Mini that Panos so loved...

Microsoft's Panos Panay is pumped about a lot of things, but the one gadget that got him out of bed in the middle of the night is the much-rumored, now-confirmed, Surface Mini tablet. In an interview with Wired out today, the company's corporate vice president in charge of devices said he used to keep an unreleased version of the 7-inch tablet near his bed so he could jot down notes and draft emails during sudden surges of inspiration.

"It was like a Moleskine," Panay says of a point two years ago (2013) when Microsoft began working on what would become the Surface Book laptop. "It was awesome."

The Verge

8. dstrauss

Rubino at Windows Central: at first he talks about seeing Andromeda OS, and that it is a combination of Windows 10 and Windows Mobile and "pretty rough" but at the 4:14 mark of his video he slips up "I've seen this thing in action and there's a lot of cool stuff it can do." Prior to that he floated that it is "not a $1000 or $1200 device" which is fairly specific and I've not heard pricing elsewhere before. Couple that with the heavy rumors of the Galaxy X folding phone going for $1850, and I'm beginning to think he's actually seen one...

UPDATE - look at some of Daniel's posts in the comments:

"@Bleached, again, you really are just kinda shooting from the hip here. There is supposed to be Win32 emulation and Centennial apps. There is also the issue if it runs Intel or ARM, as some reporting has said they are testing both.

How about you leave the "What Andromeda can and can't do" stuff to us."
    "The only thing you know about what Andromeda does/how it works is what we've told you, which isn't much.

You really are that confident that you know everything about this device to make such a claim? Even I'm not so bold and I know way more about this than you."
    "Literally the only thing most of the public knows about this: (1) Surface (2) has two screen (3) Runs Windows...something or other. That's it.

Some of the software they created specifically for this has never been shown publicly so it's hard to judge its use case.

But Andromeda is what Courier was supposed to be: digital inking, drawing, reading e-Books, cellular, runs Windows 10 apps, works with your other devices, acts as a tablet or a phone."

It may be an interesting week ahead...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    dellaster likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dellaster likes this.