Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

1 - I just found out in the letter over the weekend (it was dated last week)...and
    2 - They got both of my cards (Amex for business and Visa for personal) so you've already mined them all...

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I find that enticing too, but for the same price you can buy a nearly new Note 8 on Swappa that has none of those deficiencies - plus a headphone jack - and it has that lovely S-pen, so I'm leaning that way.

Telstar1948 and dstrauss like this.
  4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to say, I'm finding my Note8 to be an excellent companion device. It does nearly anything without issue for me. There are a number of good phones out there, but the Note supplies nearly every need I can think of. I'm truly not a great fan of Samsung as they could improve their whole mobile experience a lot, but my experience tells me that corporations are generally cut from the same cloth - some are run more effectively, but most are simply looking at the bottom line as their conscience...but, this iteration of the Note line is one fine piece of hardware..

lovelaptops, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Yup, couldn't be happier with mine. Of course, there's only about four months until the Galaxy Note 9 will be on sale...

6. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

Indeed, can't wait for the Note 9, and if rumours are to be believed could arrive as early as August. Stereo speakers and Bixby 2.0 (so useless lol) and lack of on-screen fingerprint sensor don't look like major upgrades from the Note8, but for a guy like me whose last Note was a bricked Note4 RIP and currently suffering through a LG Aristo, it will be more than a welcome upgrade *drool...*

I miss people-sketching on the daily commute with my Note, sketching with an iPro or Moleskine is just not the same...

dellaster and Bronsky like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That one actually looks like it could be something of a downgrade. Several expected features bring cancelled. Price on 8 has to go down when 9 is released. And my 3 gives an error message when I try to charge it (no problem since I have an external battery case/charger.

8. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Really? I haven't read up on the Note 9 since I just got my Note 8 a few months ago and I'm not going to be in the market. If that's so then a discounted Note 8 might be the way to go.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Until we actually see the 9 it is still just all rumors, but lately they've been focused on features being removed, if the only difference is some RAM, storage and camera, saving $300 might look appealing. Not like the 8 is underpowered.

Telstar1948 and dellaster like this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I've rarely found the newest model of flagship phones to be worth the $200-$400 more they cost vs. discounted prices of the predecessor or prices of mint condition devices on sites like Swappa. There are exceptions, of course, such as the Note 8 itself, when the most recent previous one was the Note 5 (shout out to you, @Bronsky !); the S8 - significant improvements over the S7, but the S9 has only marginal improvements over it; For those who gottahaveit, the iPhone X. With phones 2017 was a major year of upgrades for many displays but the rest of the hardware performance improvements were only incremental. Kind of like the Intel 8th gen was the first in many years (like, 4!) that brought sea-change performance improvements, with smartphones the cpu/gpu improvements for 3 years have been only incremental - with the possible exception of the iPhone 8 and X, which have the same cpus, which are just outrageously powerful, though I don't know what applications benefit from such awesome performance.

What annoys me most about Android phones is that most of them just slow down and get "gummed-up" after 2 or 3 years. I tried to hang on to my Note 4 into the 3rd year but I found it became so sluggish, even after doing factory resets. I don't know what gives with that, but it's a pretty universally reported experience for most Android phones, though Samsungs seem to get it the worst. I'm thinking it's the storage - as I write this I'm not sure if today's flagship phones use eMMC or a faster grade of NAND chips. Seems like I've read that this is in fact the next major horizon for phones and it may make noticeable improvements in responsiveness and longevity. I think it's nuts to have to shell out $750+ every 2 years for these things. What's your secret, @Bronsky, @Kumabjorn ?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Tams likes this.