Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can't believe how much I lean on the Note 5's S Pen. I don't even take my S3 out of the briefcase at case management conferences anymore. The Phone is perfect in that role when taking down deadlines for drafting the conference order and other management issues. The phone is unobstrusive, is readily available in my jacket pocket, is instant-on and, most importantly, the pen is in the silo where it belongs

In fact, the tablet pen only gets used for annotating cases and marking-up or signing documets. I couldn't justify another device just for note-taking.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I wish I had the guts to give Apple the heave ho and go Note. The iPhone X is a great phone given size, screen, camera quality, and compatibility with the family, but I can clearly see how the Note would be like one of those little reporter's notebooks:

[​IMG]

As you know, I'm not in the courtroom that often, but I see a lot of your fellow litigators carrying ONLY an iPad Pro (usually 10.5") and doing everything from it - witness examination, document management, depo outlines, bench conferences, charge conferences, voir dire, you name it. What do you see up in your neck of the woods?

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's looking like some people's dream of a folding phone / tablet hybrid won't be coming from Samsung. The combined 'open' screen is supposed to be less than 7".

http://bgr.com/2018/05/04/galaxy-s10-release-date-leak-galaxy-x-release-date/amp/

4. dstrauss

My bet is that the truly "bendable" screen devices is a couple of years away at the soonest - in their place will be devices like the Galaxy X and Surface Courier with two separate but interacting screens, which is OK with me because I don't believe bendable is sturdy enough, nor will it lay perfectly flat, for some time to come.

5. Bronsky

IPad's are everywhere. I see a lot of the 13" iPad Pros. There's a ton of iPad CLE courses, teaching lawyers how to integrate the iPad into their primarily Windows based Desktop offices.

And, yes, the reporter's notebook is exactly the right metaphor for the Note 5. I have become so dependent on it, that I felt the need to activate the fingerprint reader to help boost the security because of all the information I am carrying around. I am capturing a ton of information that would have otherwise gotten away, particularly as I seem to loose more brain cells everyday.

6. dstrauss

My bag of marbles seems to be spent these days, and maybe a Note would be the answer.

Telstar1948 and dellaster like this.
  7. Bronsky

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...I decided not to post this generally, but you two will understand. I reluctantly find myself a brand new member of My Best Buy! I bought a new TV for our family room and somehow got talked into a membership because of the "crazy high" purchase benefits. **Sigh** Just what I didn't want to do.

But at least now Dale and I are on a level playing field; I'll be able to buy and return technology like a pro!!

9. dstrauss

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am almost certainly never buying another thing at Worst Buy. I received a letter from them the last week stating that I was one of the customers affected by their [24]7.ai data breach; they had graciously arranged a one year credit watch service I needed to sign up for; and I would be glad to know that all that was exposed was my name, address, telephone number, credit card number, credit card expiration date, and the credit card CVV - that's right, they had the audacity to say that is all they got - good god, what more do they need!

Oh, and by the way, they recommended I go through all credit card statements since last fall to see if any small mundane transactions may have missed my first review that could be fraudulent, and report them to my credit card company for reimbursement - I am one of the BIGGEST opponents of class action suits, but I am joining this one the minute it is files!

Marty likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I am almost certainly never buying another thing at Worst Buy...>>

NOW you tell me...?!??

<<...good god, what more do they need!..>>

Well, I'm looking at your information here on the Dark Web... It would be nice to have all your other CC numbers and CVVs... You know, sort of one neat package...???

nnthemperor, Azzart and Bronsky like this.