Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

As an advocate for a hinged design, rather than bending screen, I am positive about this find BUT what is with those honky huge bezels, which truly look like an integral part of the design?

JoeS likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That patent from the OnMSFT article concerns me a little (though admittedly as I've said before I have no interest in purchasing a device like this, as interesting as it may or may not end up being as a concept). It talks about having a device with a curved screen/gutter (like the gutter close to the binding with physical books, to be fair) and aligning the light so that it looks straight. Great, but at the same time if I'm interested in notetaking and writing I just don't see that being a good experience to have a huge portion of the middle of the screen basically unavailable for writing, whereas if they were totally flat you could just continue writing as if you were using a larger tablet. I mean, I guess the software could take care of that a little (the Courier concept used the middle gutter as some type of sharing bar if I remember correctly), but still on two phone-sized screens that feels like it'd end up being a large chunk of the display unusable for inking.

5. dstrauss

I share your concern, but with all of the samples I have seen (and granted, manufacturers are probably not letting us see the "good stuff" in public) bending screens suck and look like they will break too easily.

6. dstrauss

I know this has been shared (in part) elsewhere, but the best "companion" device for our bigger Surface devices will be the Surface Courier (or Pad, or whatever they cal it) - here's the detailed patent application:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20180113520.pdf

Even Mac lover Mike Elgin sees the light...and point to the 2009 demo...

PLEASE BE RIGHT MIKE>>>

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Omit a pen and it's DOA for me.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. dstrauss

I think the pen is a given as Elgin said. Problem is you'll need a pocket protector because they will never shave the N-Tig design down to an S-pen stick.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I wonder if a Lenovo AES pen will work? Although, this might truly be the single device that rules them all.:thumbsup:

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  10. dstrauss

In the meantime, if you have the new iPad 2018 (a steal deal) or any iPad Pro, check out the latest upgrade of OneNote - they have finally added Insert Space to the menu bar - with that and Lasso it is now a legit alternative for small form factor note taking (except for that noisy slippery pen point).

dellaster likes this.