Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

More importantly, you'd think the presenters would learn on their own.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

"Satya - WE FOUND SOME MORE - you can start selling again!"

[​IMG]

4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Definitely a Warehouse 13 venture, or maybe Area 51 :)

5. fuglee

fuglee Pen Pal - Newbie

Kinda disappointed in what came out of MWC. Why is there still no competitor to the obviously successful Samsung Note? I would really like to see a smaller version, even if it uses N-trig or AES. Just something pressure sensitive with a narrow nib.

Tams likes this.
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I kind of wonder if a future Google Pixel will have pen support, since the Pixelbook uses a pen and they also continue to work on things like handwriting support in Android.

It'd be interesting if they did, because that would open up the option of using Google's Fi service instead of whatever carrier people are on. But still, probably just wishful thinking.

7. Bronsky

It was disappointing this year. No real announcements about WOA. No Samsung S4. I also can't believe that the first generation of WOA devices are going to use an obsolete CPU. New phones are getting the Snapdragon 845 and all of the WOA devices are using the 835. I just want a 10" EMR 20 tablet.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am afraid professional note takers are a dying breed as far as OEM's are concerned, EVEN Microsoft. Pens are "good enough" and most users ignore them anyway except to let the grand-kids doodle while in the back seat of the car.

I'm thankful for the GB12, and GB10 might fill the bill for you, but those are already more than a year old design. I am slowly coming to the realization that in the near future I will need to be satisfied with the lightest full power laptop/ultralight I care to tote and a 6.5" Galaxy Note equivalent (who am I kidding, ONLY the Galaxy Note will EVER have a siloed pen). In that scenario I'd kill for full time BT connectivity between the two constantly syncing updates between the phone and laptop.

9. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I believe that's correct. Certainly it is for EMR. Samsung's investment in Wacom and probable smartphone exclusivity deal ensure that. A small stylus with a capacitive charger in a silo is certainly possible—Lenovo did it in their ThinkPad 260 (I wonder if they patented it and that's why we don't see it elsewhere?)—but the electronics for that is probably going to be bulky. That's a no-go in this age of thin and light cell phones when they're getting rid of headphone jacks to make room for stuff (and offloading the cost of a quality DAC to the headphone makers=more profit).

And BTW, I'm loving my Galaxy Note 8. I haven't even touched my iPad Mini 4 since I got it. I don't really miss the small size of the iPhone SE either, so far. The Note 8 bridges the gap and serves the function of those two excellently, for me.

10. Bronsky

Yea. Feel the same about the Note 5. It covers a lot of territory that my old 8" note taker did.