Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. We would get a shot of Rock and Rye, which is whiskey with dissolved rock candy and citrus. My parents said it would help me sweat out the cold. It sure did.
    [​IMG]

Azzart and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's ALL in the ratios...

Bronsky and Azzart like this.
  3. JMac

JMac Pen Pal - Newbie

Need some advice from the experts here!

I have an opportunity to buy a used Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for $385. It’s owned by a co-worker who ordered from the Samsung factory in Korea and has used it for 3 weeks but prefers their old Google Pixel phone. The co-worker’s spouse works for Samsung and occasionally gets hardware at a discount.

I’ve looked at eBay and Craigslist but the price ranges seems to be all over the place. The phone is in mint condition, unlocked and has a clean IMEI # (AT&T). I’m thinking that this is a pretty good deal but needed some unbiased opinions from those who know more about these things than I do.

Anyway, any and all insight would be valuable. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

4. dstrauss

How's this for an opinion - if you don't want it tell him I've got $450 if he's interested.

nnthemperor, JMac and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Take the deal.:newpalm:

JMac likes this.
  6. dstrauss

@JMac Remember to tell us how much you like your new GN8!

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that it matters much but I'd be curious whether it's the Exynos version that is typically sold everywhere but the US, or the Snapdragon 835 version. They typically have similar performance because Samsung wants a consistent user experience, but licensing costs typically just have them using the Snapdragon in the US. (From what I've read it's actually cheaper for Samsung to use the Snapdragon here than it is for them to use their own chips and have to pay Qualcomm the LTE modem patent fees.)

JMac likes this.
  8. JMac

JMac Pen Pal - Newbie

I suppose if @dstrauss & @Bronsky recommend, I have no choice! It will be my first Android phone, so the transition should be interesting. From what I've heard/read, users either love it or hate it.

Will do. Picking up tomorrow and I'll post an update in a few days. Thanks again :thumbsup:

dstrauss likes this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

So far the only drawback I find in this phone compared to the iPhone (or pretty much any other phone I had) is the awful crushed blacks when watching videos.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nokia will hold their MWC press conference today (10am EST). They're one of the few companies that offer basically 'pure' Android with a promise of fast OS updates, while also offering a headphone jack, a micro-SD slot, and reasonable pricing. I'm hoping they'll release a model that can go toe to toe with the Pixel 2 camera.