Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm loving my Axon-M, it really is serving as 2 devices: a smartphone and a tablet. All the reviewers on YouTube seem to jump on the same bandwagon regarding this device and poo-poo it. Yes, it's a first generation device and there's some software elements that need to be ironed out, but it really is pretty awesome to have a dual-screen device that folds out into a 6.5" (I believe) tablet with a really nice aspect ratio for browsing the web. Running two apps side-by-side on their own separate screens is INCREDIBLY useful when copying over texts, or when mounted in the car by having GPS on one and a music player on another.

[​IMG]

You do get used go the bezel, it's not that bad. It's the most innovative device I've used in quite some time.

Telstar1948 and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Imagine if that were two Galaxy Note 8’s?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Which is exactly why I was hoping to wait for the Samsung X.

4. dstrauss

Gotta get bigger hands...

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, while it doesn't help communication with those on iOS, there are rumors (based on code teardowns) that Google's "Messages" SMS app will begin to use either carrier RCS or a Google chat connection of some kind for enhanced messaging, and will also be able to pair through a website to display SMS on your PC.

(By the time SMS relay in Skype ever comes to Android like promised / if it ever does, it definitely looks like Microsoft will behind again. But hey, at least they have that Snapchat themed terrible redesign for Skype now. :rolleyes:)

6. Mr. Boosh

I've been texting seamlessly and calling for free on any WiFi connected device for 6+ years now with Google Voice. I haven't paid for a cell phone bill in all that time. You can already do that; Voice is Google's most underrated service.

Hangouts extension on my Windows PC and Chromebook, and Hangouts app on my phone. I'm not an Apple guy, but don't you need your phone to establish a cellular connection to be able to use iMessage on other devices? You don't need that with Google Voice.

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

If I’m remembering correctly, iMessage works on any Apple device (iPad, Mac) as long as it’s signed into iCloud and connected to the internet (of course). The phone they work off of can be a thousand miles away.

8. dstrauss

Yes, iMessage is just like Hotel California, you can check in but you can never leave...

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I used to use Google Voice in the past back when it was GrandCentral, but in all honesty I think that it's too overcomplicated for a lot of people to use... especially if they want to use their SMS app and then you get into the whole redirected phone numbers thing.

There are other options on Android to sync to your PC as well (Pulse SMS comes to mind) but it's the full suite of features together that make iMessage invaluable to Apple users. The enhanced messages side of what is rumored for Android Messages might cover that.... but then it might also just mean Google ends up with like 7 chat protocols/messaging clients instead of 6 too. (Sadly, only slightly exaggerating.)

10. Mr. Boosh

Overcomplicated? The fact you haven't used it since GrandCentral is the reason why you think that. It's completely integrated into Hangouts. When you port your main number into Google Voice you don't need to forward anything, unless you want to make calls over a cellular network (then you need to just toggle the option to forward all calls in the Google Voice app).

Otherwise, you just use the Hangouts app like you would the standard SMS app. You can text and make free wifi calls right through the app. Overcomplicated? Hardly.