Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It appears that I have been able to destroy my Note 5 in less than 2.25 years. The S-Pen silo doesn't work. Charging is spotty. As much as I would like to hold out to see if we have a Samsung X or Courier later this year, I have really come to depend on my Note 5. The damaged pen silo is critical. I have an SPen that I keep in my briefcase, but the inability to instantaneously pull out the pen and take down the note makes the phone less functional. The phone rarely fast charges anymore and often stops in the middle of the cycle. The charging issues are a real PITA. As much as I would like to wait, if Samsung or Verizon offers a decent trade-in during the MWC, when it introduces the S9, I think I'll be stepping up to the Note 8. SD card and water resistance are welcome improvements.

Considering the heavy use to which I put my Note 5, I'm surprised it lasted this long. It is, the perfect companion device.

bloodycape, Telstar1948 and dellaster like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I wish I could escape the Apple walled garden and join you Note enthusiasts - guess sometimes family commitments outweigh personal preference.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...guess sometimes family commitments outweigh personal preference...>>

...Or...Or you could drag the entire family into a new world of unfettered software and hardware bliss...?!??

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

...or...carry an iPhone and a Note 8...dual holsters, kind of like Gen. Patton used to wear:D

5. dstrauss

As when h*** freezes over - although my GN8 packing son would love that...I have no hope...

I've already contemplated an older Note for pocket notepad, but I really just need one phone - oh well...

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's reports like this that make me want to wait for the Note 9. https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/12/qualcomm-snapdragon-845-benchmarks/ A third less power draw and a third more graphics power make the 845 look like a significant improvement. Glad MWC is just around the corner.

BTW Dale, my entire family has retrenched in the Apple Universe. They are now all Apple Smartphone users while I am the only Samsung holdout. Only a couple of years ago, it was 50-50 Apple/Samsung in our family.

7. dstrauss

It's like an infectious disease that can't be stopped - the Ebola of smartphones - and the strength of the infection is iMessage. Once you get in the clutches of iOS, it is iMessage that is the superglue that holds them in. There are lots of cross-platform messaging options, but why bother when all your friends and family are on iMessage with unlimited length and strong group messaging chops.

And that's why there will NEVER be an Android version of iMessage...:mad:

It's even worse among the college set - you wouldn't dare be seen at Starbucks rocking a Samsung, much less a lesser Android brand...how plebeian...:(

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

845 is showing 30-40% increases across the board on all different benchmarking tools (CPU, GPU, etc) on the Qualcomm reference device versus the winning phones of 2017 for various hardware components (mostly Note 8 and the Huawei Mate 10).

10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’ve allowed my assimilation by the Google Borg :confused:. Today I upgraded my iPhone SE line to a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Best Buy is giving a $100 instant discount on top of Verizon’s $200 in bill credits over 24 months. So $300 off. Target had a better deal: $200 gift card on top of Verizon’s $200. But for some reason the upgrade kept getting rejected. Something funky with Target’s system I guess, since Best Buy had no problem.

I only have a sister on iMessage. We can use normal texting instead, I’m sure. If the GN8 works out I’ll be cancelling the iPad mini line and selling it.

It’s been three years since I’ve used Android (Galaxy S3, Lollipop) so it’s a learning curve. The S-Pen is amazing... I could get used to this.

dstrauss likes this.