Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OneNote on Android frustrates the hell out of me. I mean, I love that it has pen support, and that alone is enough to make it indispensable. But its complete lack of features otherwise is terrible.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Note 8, it's all black for me until number 7.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Azzart likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Swype is nice, but it can result in hilarious typos =)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Azzart likes this.
  4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought that was you trying to justify an upgrade to the new Surface Book 2 15". :D

Azzart likes this.
  5. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Note 4 and I can confirm that the first two squares are not visible at all even at maximum brightness and with each color modes, that is srgb (the one I use), adaptive, etc. But they are perfectly visible on my 10 year old Eizo s2431w even at the lowest brightness, which reminds me how good some screen makers can be: even if this was not a pro monitor when I bought it (it was just an "office" model), it is still performing rock solid, with excellent color calibration and great grey gradients as mentioned.

Anyhow I'll try the test on my Note again tonight, too much daylight is bleeding inside my room right now.

6. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

On my Note 8 with the brightness turned up all the way, all squares can be seen, although the top row is faint.

Ron

7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, I didn't turn up brightness, so my response may be off.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I see only to 5 with brightness at maximum.
    But anyway it's a test to see the quality of a display in terms of contrast and gamma, so you should see all of them with a normal brightness, no point in going full 1200 nits in normal light conditions. ;)

I wonder why Samsung set this display in this way, I'm certain it could easily display all of them and it's Samsung that calibrated it in such a fashion. :-/

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, my question is: when viewing images/video on the Note 8 do black areas appear oversaturated/all black when clearly the image has lighter shades that should be seen? In this review the Verge ripped LG a new one over the OLED screen on it's otherwise droolworthy V30 because its dark areas were too dark and obscured details both in passively viewed content and in the image view screen for photos. The Verge has nothing but praise for the N8 screen. If you N8 "poos" have a moment to check the link (above) to the V30 review, are some of you asserting the same complaint as Verge has to disqualify the V30, which it otherwise seems to consider the best new flagship phone, applies to the N8 - even if you can't know if the V30 is even worse. Thanks, I'm pretty much ready to get the N8 as soon as it goes on sale, but would like to know if this screen contrast problem is a "thing." The test screens are interesting, but I'm beginning to wonder if they are relevant to what we do with our smartphones, but they clearly are if we are being deprived of image information that we would clearly want/need to see.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm curious, what are some of the features you're missing?