Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I can only type anything of length on a natural keyboard and that one is not something I'd call handy to take with you (I have a Microsoft 4000 keyboard). I'm faster writing than typing on a standard keyboard (let alone a small one).

And dictation I'll never get used to...

dellaster likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'd give anything for a preview of the Galaxy Note 8. I'm still rooting for S8, S Plus and S8 Pro (Note) today, clearing the runway for a folding S8 Pro this fall (to joust with the iPhone 8)...that would be SWEET, even if the Pro was delayed until June...

3. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I've been using Microsoft natural keyboards since the 1990s. My current version is the Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop.
    IMG_0008.JPG
    It's hard to go back to flat keyboards.

4. dstrauss

The new S8 and S8+ look pretty cool, as does the DeX desktop dock - if only they'd slap a S-Pen in the S8+ and push it out the door!

I was really shocked to see the S8, barely larger than an iPhone 7, has a screen LARGER than my iP7+!

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

DeX was continuum light. No speaker, no console, just keyboard, mouse and a single screen.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

6. dstrauss

But, the brief demo of PowerPoint, and the ease of switching to a windowed environment on an Android desktop, was very impressive IMHO (well, not really humble as you all know). Cut, copy, and paste in Android on a 27" screen REALLY waxes iOS now don't it...

And by the way, other than that HP thingy, what phones support continuum (I mean as in phones the public might have a remote interest in buying)?

7. Kumabjorn

Ahhh comparing it to iOS, setting the bar low tonight? But yeah, WP offers nothing hence Continuum is kind of moot. My point was more like nothing new under the sun.

8. dstrauss

Wasn't really shooting for a low bar Kuma - was thinking more in terms of mobile OS capabilities - and an even more evil thought:

What if Dex is coming to the Galaxy Tab S3 - leaves Samsung open to "dump" its Windows support down the road in favor of a pure Android play with a desktop experience - if MS keeps beefing up the capabilities of the Android Office Apps, @Bronsky 's next Surface 3 may be a Tab S3 with dock - I'm not kidding, even my weak end Tab A 10.1, with a good file browser, makes a pretty decent VPN front end to my Word file archive...and now instead of being stuck inside a split screen Android experience, you get a multi-windowed desktop with cut, past, and drag & drop..."lions and tigers and bears, OH MY!"

9. Kumabjorn

Maybe I missed something, but didn't it use a USB-C connecting?

10. dstrauss

Yes, and so does the Tab S3

sonichedgehog360 likes this.