Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

While we await the GN8, look at the BGR.com renderings comparing the GS8 and GS8+ to the iP7 and iP7+. What is really stunning is that the GS8 has a LARGER screen than my iP7+ ! NOW SAMSUNG - just stick a S Pen in that GS8+ and call it a day !
    [​IMG]

Imagine writing in OneNote on that screen in landscape mode - it will be nearly 5.75" and a standard letter size page, with 1" margins, is 6.5" - AWESOME.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. dstrauss

Sometimes I hate it when I'm right: "Samsung will not be offering refurbished Galaxy Note 7 devices for rent or sale in the US," a Samsung spokesperson told CNET.

No refurb Galaxy Note 7 for us!

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. dstrauss

A while back (Post) I posted the latest gossip on the Galaxy Note 8, along with the design sketch - I blew off the thin line dividing the screen portion, but apparently others are not, and the rumor is now circulating that represents a FOLDABLE design element to at least one version of the GN8. Remember, that's how curved edges first appeared in Samsung phones (standard GN4 and Note Edge)...hmmmmmmm...The Galaxy Note Edge was a very limited initial release then more trickled out after the first of the year...juicy gossip at least...The Inquisitr

4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

@dstrauss Well...I think you're wearing me down! I bought the GTA10.1 because of your experience and info, now my mind is wandering away from my iPhone toward the GN8!! Blast you and the horse you road in on...now I'm seeing more outgoing dollar $igns in my future!! :D Actually, I'm thinking now that since I like the GTA that life would be simpler if I just had Windows and Android to worry about rather than Windows, Android and Apple. So, maybe I'll give the GN another run later on. I'm telling you...reading this forum is harmful to one's wallet (at the least;))

nnthemperor, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

@Telstar1948 So many toys...so little money...I do have to say the GTA10.1 is truly a nice tablet, but I still want just two devices - a Colt on my hip (GN8) and a Winchester on the saddle (GB12)...both using 44-40 caliber (anyone get the S Pen tie-in yet...).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    nnthemperor and Mesosphere like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Agreed, I have always been subject to gadget lust but this forum has upped it to the nth degree.

And yeah, it makes sense to consolidate into one ecosystem (as intended), to the extent that you can. Pick the one that you can live with and go for it. It's just too bad that Microsoft's mobile side self-destructed so thoroughly that it's not an option, now or in the foreseeable future. I liked it. :(

Telstar1948, Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

+1 But, even if the software had continued to develop, only Samsung puts an EMR pen in a phone. The Note series is unique.

dstrauss, Telstar1948 and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Yup, for note takers Samsung has pretty much cornered the market.

Me, I'm getting used to Apple's dictation and finding it surprisingly good. Better than Dragon Naturally Speaking of a few years ago when I tried it, though Apple's doesn't do automatic punctuation. Yet. I guess it's so good because it processes speech remotely on their servers.

Dictation is not an option in meetings and such, of course. And if you use it in public you'll get looks from others. :oops:

9. dstrauss

Nah - everyone KNOWS you are talking to the smartest person in the room, or as Stephen said in Braveheart: "In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."

jl199954 and dellaster like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use the Note 5's pen so much that my biggest problem is keeping my OneNotes organized. I have never developed a decent system for keeping my notes organized as I make them. I always have to go refile them later, which can be time consuming.

I am normally somewhere that dictating notes would be inappropriate (courtroom) or impossible (convertible). For anything longer than an email, I am far, far faster on a keyboard and my copy comes out much closer to final than dictated documents. I am far more efficient with my current combination of GN5 and S3.