Best SciFi Movies (Ever)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by dstrauss, Feb 19, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That was my reaction almost to a T - I hate it, but I get attracted like a moth to a flame when it is on - the acting SUCKED but the visuals were stunning. The whispery narration made my skin crawl, but Sting was pretty good - ever hear of a movie being described as bipolar?

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting thing is, the movie _Alien_ grew out of one failed attempt to create _Dune_ --- they had a bunch of matte paintings and prop work which they then recycled.

I hated the movie, but I also have a big problem with the books after _Heretics of Dune_ (and don't get me started on the prequels).

C.J. Cherryh did an interesting spin on a similar concept, _The Faded Sun_ trilogy --- well worth reading as all her books are.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the movie _Alien_ grew out of one failed attempt to create _Dune_ --- they had a bunch of matte paintings and prop work which they then recycled...>>

...Yes! I remember that; the H. R. Geiger concepts were the launch point for the Alien creature, the "star jockey" and its spaceship...!

4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Similar feeling for me. It's like the journey was fascinating, but I didn't like the destination? With the books, I kind of liked Dune but my perspective changed after reading Children of Dune and I couldn't get into the next book nor reread any of them.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I couldn't...reread any of them...>>

...Who had the time...?!??

dellaster likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that describes the range of responses to that movie. I found Sting embarrassing to watch but I also find the film highly watchable whenever it is on.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Dune (the movie) was an astounding dissapointment.

8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Arrival, the best movie about exploring the interplay between linguistics, evolution and psychology (anger fear, sorrow, happiness and insecurity). On top of it, it has aliens.

9. ethanbit

ethanbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree that Star Wars is a great SciFi saga, but as for modern movies, I like Moon directed by Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie. There are a great social idea in this film and I think it will be very important for the next generations.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'll have to check it out.