Best SciFi Movies (Ever)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by dstrauss, Feb 19, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

At Kuma's recommendation, I'm opening up a thread on the best SciFi movies in history. I suggest we keep this to Pre-1930 and then by decade, and cap it off with your BEST EVER (which can be a decade winner as well. Please copy this form for your entry - only ONE for each decade (who said this was going to be easy). After that, free-form to your hearts content on other choices, why, and whatever else tickles your fancy.

Pre-1930:

1930:

1940:

1950:

1960:

1970:

1980:

1990:

2000:

2010:

BEST EVER:

2. dstrauss

Pre-1930: A Trip to the Moon

1930: Frankenstein

1940: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

1950: War of the Worlds

1960: 2001 A Space Odyssey

1970: Star Wars

1980: Blade Runner

1990: Star Trek First Contact

2000: Signs

2010: The Martian

BEST EVER: War of the Worlds (1953)

This was tough on a number of levels. For me, the 40's. 90's, and 2000's just didn't keep up with the other decades. For me, the 50's were the greatest, as we all grew up on the 30's-50's on Friday Night Frights. In fact, I had more "winners" in the 50's than all of the rest of the decades.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I admit, I don't know any scifi from the 1930's, 40s, or 50s. After that, it increases dramatically. Great sci-fi novels from that era though! Almost all the best sci-fi novels are from 1940-1970.

1960: 2001

1980: Empire Strikes Back/ Bladerunner/ Aliens... so many more!!

1990: 12 monkeys/ The Martix

2000: Firefly (TV)

2010: Looper/ Inception

BEST EVER: My favorite to watch again and again- Inception or Aliens. Most influential- probably Star Wars. Best made- Bladerunner, IMO.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Another shout out for the 50's (and NO I did not see the original screenings):

The War of the Worlds
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Thing from Another World
    Forbidden Planet
    Destination Moon
    Journey to the Center of the Earth
    This Island Earth
    Them!
    When Worlds Collide
    The Incredible Shrinking Man
    It Came from Outer Space
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon
    The Fly
    The Amazing Colossal Man
    From the Earth to the Moon

But it also spawned the all time worst:

Plan 9 from Outer Space (poor Bela Lugosi)

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

1960: 2001 A Space Odyssey
    1980: Blade Runner (but dang Alien was good, and so was The Fly..)
    1990: The Matrix (although I enjoyed the hell out of the Fifth Element and Men in Black)
    2000: District 9
    2010: Blade Runner 2049

BEST EVER: objectively probably Star Wars, but when District 9 came out I just had to see it again the same weekend. Intense!

Random thoughts, I recall seeing a version of The Triffids that really captivated me, as well as Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Also in my list I lean more toward the 'serious scifi'. Back to the future is irresistable fun, but it feels like a different kind of movie.

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Damn, I hate those questions "the best ever" with only one choice :eek:
    Decisions, decisions...

Since I'm from the 90s I don't have much experience with movies before the 60s.

1960: (guess it...) 2001 A Space Odyssey
    1970: Star Wars (or Alien)
    1980: Aliens (or Brazil or Blade Runner or Back to the Future)
    1990: The Matrix (or Alien³ or Star Trek 7/8 or 12 Monkeys or Ghost in the Shell or The 5th Element or Star Wars Episode I)
    2000: Firefly (or Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions or The Island or War of the Worlds [yes the new one :p] or Sunshine or Avatar or Pandorum or District 9...)
    2010: Blade Runner 2049 or Interstellar or Inception <-- These ones are very equal awesome!

BEST EVER: Impossible to decide! The Star Wars saga, Star Trek universe, Matrix triology, Alien universe, Terminator, Firefly series, Avatar, Blade Runner 2049, Interstellar, Inception etc...

Edit:
    I just watched The War Of The Worlds (1953) in 6 minuters :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pre-1930: I don't know. I watched and loved a lot of Charlie Chaplin, but I don't recall him ever wearing a jetpack. Too bad!

1930: "Lost Horizon" (A Frank Capra film. -Though, I don't know if it was sci-fi or what exactly. It was a cool adventure story about finding a utopian civilization and the fountain of youth in the middle of a frozen hell mountain region. Had a great Twilight Zone quality.)

1940: I don't know! I haven't seen anything from that decade I remember. There was, however, a pre- Adam West Batman serial I want to check out someday. It looks awesome!

1950: Argh! It's IMPOSSIBLE to choose. I mean, c'mon! It had "The Fly"! -A childhood obsessive fascination on my schoolyard when the old original aired on TV one weekend. But if pressed, I'd have to go with a scholarly and responsible, "The Day the Earth Stood Still". But, honestly..!

1960: Okay, I know, I know, "Planet of the Apes" "2001 A Space Odyssey", sure. But when I was a kid Disney was all over the TV with their re-packaged properties from the 60's, so I'd have to go with, "The Absent-Minded Professor". I mean, c'mon! Flubber? How can you not love anti-gravity rubber? "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" was also great fun, and while KITT was super-cool, the Lovebug came first and best.

1970: "Star Wars" Even after decades, I still want my own lightsaber, and I pretty much believe that living by the Jedi code is the optimal approach to life. (Minus the celibacy thing.)

1980: Another impossible question! It would be easy to say, "The Empire Strikes Back" -and it's basically the honest truth in terms of technical brilliance and outright love for the story and characters, and its overall personal impact on me, except it came out in 1980! That leaves 10 whole years of awesome films untouched! Also, since I already gave "Star Wars" for my last answer, I'm going to instead give the 1980's crown to: "Back to the Future", -but only because I'm measuring this answer by sheer number of viewings and everybody I know has tried, (and failed) to do a voice-cracking impression of Michael J. Fox saying the word, "Delorean".

1990: "Terminator 2 - Judgement Day" I actually thought "The Matrix" was pretentious and dumb when it came out. All that black leather..? Ugh. Goths are not, and never have been anywhere nearly as cool as they think they are. Plus, Keanu always seemed kind of over-medicated to me as an actor. In the years since, however, that film has risen mightily in my estimation, (especially when I learned that the "Bodies as batteries" thing was an idea forced by the studios; in the Wachowski's original script, the Matrix itself was driven by 7 billion networked human brains; a way cooler idea.) But honestly, T2 is one of the best monster movies ever made; people still use "Terminator" in popular vernacular.

2000: What a crap-fest! What a lost decade! "District 9" was good, but it couldn't be called, "Fun". (Which, in reviewing my list, appears to be an important consideration.) There were lots of middling films, things I didn't feel ripped off after paying for my movie ticket. But nothing stood out. It's more a choice among middling contenders. Does "Wall-E" count? I liked that.

2010: We're not done with this decade yet. So far, I quite liked the new Bladerunner, and the Hunger Games was a hundred times better and smarter and more compassionate than I assumed it could possibly be from the one-line description I'd written it off based on. (I didn't see it until a year later, after which I scooted out and read the three books over a week end).

I really wanted to like "Jupiter Ascending" and kind of still do, but it was ruined by the studios (again) which forced the Wachowskis to cram a three movie arc into a single release. (Imagine how awesome it could have been; the first Matrix, but with invisible aliens.) Disney has fsked Star Wars, (yes, even Rogue One, sorry), and Star Trek is dead to me.

So I'm going to wait for another two years in the hopes that something truly excellent comes along.

BEST EVER: Can I answer that later? I need to think about it a bit...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  8. dstrauss

What is more fascinating than anything is how there are decades that are clearly a wasteland, and decades with enough to pack the whole survey.Why did I say you could only choose ONE - because ya gotta gut up and pick a winner for compiling all these votes - I plan to update the first entry with composite numbers (if we get enough participants).

If you can't choose, explain yourself...

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

(scrolls down to locate the 'like' button)

doobiedoobiedum and Bronsky like this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll give it a shot. This is a subjective best-of, not in any way pretending to be objective. Mostly it's about what pleased or affected me most.

Pre-1930: A Trip to the Moon

1930: Things To Come

1940: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

1950: Forbidden Planet

1960: 2001: A Space Odyssey

1980: Aliens

1990: Terminator 2: Judgement Day

2000: Star Trek

2010: none yet because I lag way behind in movie watching

BEST EVER: Star Wars

The 50s and 80s were the most difficult choices for me. Pre 50s the choices were few; the 60s got dominated by 2001. I nearly picked The Fifth Element instead of Terminator 2, it was so fun. I actually liked the Star Trek reboot even though I went into it with negative prejudice and that’s why it won that decade on my list.

Although I admired Blade Runner, watched it many times, had it on Criterion laser disc, I'm not fond of dystopian science fiction.