Best portable tablet for an artist?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by mandygirl01, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandygirl01

mandygirl01 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I want one I can take around like a laptop, that can access the internet, that is easy to purchase at a store instead of ordering online(My debit only allows me to spend 200 a day =[) that I can use to draw and make art, and has at the very least a 40 gb hard drive. My main purpose of the pc will be to work on my art.

So a tablet pc that works with a tablet pen would be best! =D

Price is not an issue =]

Help please?

1. What is your budget?anything really no budget

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? new would be nice

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? convertable

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?large or mainstream
    Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    Large ~ 13.3"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?atleast 2-3

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? drawing
    9. Do you have an OS preference?nope

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? photoshop
    10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. no

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?does not matter

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight? does not matter
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?either or

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    which ever would be the best for art
    5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    yep!

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?at least 40gb

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?no

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?no

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? None

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You should really state what part of the world you are at if you intend to only shop at a brick and mortar store. Assuming you are in US:

Go to Best Buy. Talk to someone at PCHO department about "Customer Fulfillment" which will allow you to buy units they don't carry in the store. See if they can get you a HP2740p or Fujitsu T730 or T900.

If you live near by a Frys Electronics, they tend to carry Fujitsus. See if they have one.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First of all, there are a lot of different types of Photoshop users, for example, how big is your usual canvas, how many layers, color bit depth, usual number of things in your un-do history, what version of Photoshop? any other info (Have you used Wacom tablets before? ie the usb ones like the Bamboo) or are you entirely new to digital art, and haven't even used Photoshop before? If you have used Photoshop, and have art online, can you post a link so I can see what style of art you have, like a Deviant Art account or Photobucket, or even what you want to do (certain styles are far more demanding than others).

Like Shogmaster said,where in the USA? because certain stores like Microcenter, Frys, and Tiger Direct don't have locations everywhere. I would advise against BestBuy if other options are available (They really suck, but that's my opinion)

If you have an unlimited budget you can link your bank account to a paypal account, and buy a computer from any Tablet PC's online store, Amazon, 3rd party vendors (or e-bay for that matter). you'll be able to get a Tablet PC with the highest specs (better screen, more ram, faster processor, extended/ extra battery, upgraded wireless, extra ports, ect...) A fully spec'd Tablet PC will be far more capable than a "quick ship" model (the model the store sells) but you'll only notice the diference when pushing your system (which you'll eventually do with Digital drawing in Photoshop) but it won't be noticed even in heavy web browsing.

Any other info will help us narrow down something good for you, like preferred weight, how often you will carry it around with you and how you will do so, and anything else (realize that a new "top of the line" Tablet PC can cost upwards of $2000 all things considered (accessories))

4. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Where you specifically live will make a big impact on your ability to purchase in-store.

Shogmaster recommended checking with BestBuy which is a good suggestion because of their wide distribution but I doubt you'd be able to get a hold of a Fujitsu TH700/T730/T900 or Lenovo X201t through them.
    Their website lists only the HP TM2t and that it's available only online (though they can definitely order one in for you I doubt you'd be able to try it before you buy it).

Agent 9 made a suggestion that was the first thing that came to my mind: PayPal
    With a PayPal account you can buy from a very wide selection of different tablets from different online merchants including eBay (where excellent deals can be found on some very good Tablet PCs).

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Best Buy's "Customer Fulfillment" allows you to buy models that are not available at the store not their website. It's mostly for business customers that demand more vertical oriented products that aren't in line with their consumer oriented inventory.

6. mandygirl01

1) I do live in the USA, Eastern region.

2) I use photoshop to make manga styled art (such as people animals and places). I also use it for work to make banners, fonts, and also to enhance photographs.

3) I own a bamboo by Wacom currently, so I do have a little experience.

4) I would be carrying it around to work, to home, when I go out of state for work, and any other place that comes up.

5) I am only 19, so I have been kind of skeptical about the whole paypal thing. I have never used it, and I have no clue how to set it up!

Thank you for putting up with my half tired specifications from last time! I just know I need the PC before March 17th of next year.

My budget would be anything $10,000 or less!

7. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

With a practically unlimited budget you have the pick of the litter.
    For what's available now I'd say your best choices are:

Fujitsu T900 - Excellent quality 13.3" screen (the largest you'll find in a Tablet PC; I'd opt for just the Active Digitizer as well), extremely powerful Intel i5 or i7 CPUs, up to 8GB RAM, 126GB Solid-State Hard Drive is an option.
    You can get it brand new directly from Fujitsu fully-loaded for about $3,000. Add in a warranty and you're still under $3,500.
    The T900 is naturally a bit heavier than many other tablets due to it's large size.
    This is the newer version of the T5010 that my wife uses for her art.

Fujitsu T730 - Very similar to the above T900 just with a 12.1" screen and weighing about 10 ounces less.
    New, direct, and fully-loaded from Fujitsu it'd be about $2,750.

Lenovo X201t - Great quality 12.1" screen, Intel UM i5 and i7 CPUs (less raw power than the non-UM CPUs but still very powerful and give you a longer battery life), up to 8GB RAM, and the awesome 160GB Intel Solid-State Drive is an option.
    Brand new, direct from Lenovo, fully-loaded you're looking at about $2,500.
    This model is probably your best choice for portability and long battery life.

HP 2740p - Very good 12.1" screen, Intel i5 and i7 CPUs, up to 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD option.
    New, direct from HP, fully-loaded at about $2,750.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. mandygirl01

Thank you! I am looking into the Fujitsu T900 it seems to be my best bet! =D

Thank you for all your guy's help!