Best Phablet Companion for the Surface

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 13, 2015.

?

Which phablet is the best companion for your Surface?

1. Lumia 950 XL

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Galaxy Note 5

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. iPhone 6s Plus

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Galaxy Note 4

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

For me, it's the Lumia. Apple I wouldn't even consider. The Notes are nice, but they're Android with a lot of Samsung gravy. I don't mind Android that much (but I do prefer Windows) but that Samsung gravy is just bad... (I had a HTC tablet before my Note 8, and I must say I prefered Sense over whatever that Samsung gravy is called... )

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

TouchWiz and you can turn off most of it.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What are your uses for this companion device?

I'll tell you this, I've used every mobile OS around and am a power user with them all. My bread and butter is Android, having quite a bit of development experience in that ecosystem. With that said, in January I purchased a BlackBerry Passport because I was seriously intrigued by the design and features.

It is, hands down, the best mobile device I have ever used. There's a little tweaking involved to get all your Android apps working (if they require Google play services), but all of mine work flawlessly. As a communication tool, it seriously puts every other OS to shame. The battery lasts 2 days on a charge, the speakers are amazing, and the build quality is great. The physical keyboard with a capacitive touch later underneath is really the most innovative feature I've used on a smartphone in years.

Tech press loves to bash BlackBerry and say how bad they are. They're wrong.

4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

But it still means a delay in getting Android OS updates. You also can't turn off the visual theme of TouchWiz itself and you can't use a different launcher if you have a Note Edge, S6 Edge, or S6 Edge+ unless you don't want to use the Edge panels. Plus Samsung keeps saying that TouchWiz has been dialed down, they say this every single year with every new phone they release and then it turns out to not be true.

Personally, I voted for the iPhone 6S Plus. We all know it will have the same (or very similar) design as the 6 Plus with improved internal hardware and maybe a force touch display. Being a current Samsung owner, I would never vote for them again. They ruined my S5 and have subsequently ruined my Note Edge with botched updates. Bluetooth audio playback? Ah yes, it reminds me of the days when listening to CDs on a portable player without skip protection. All day battery life? Sure, if you consider 7 hours of idling to be all day. Fast updates? Yep, getting an update 8 months after Google releases it sure is fast.

Samsung killed everything I liked about the Note series by going with fixed capacities and capping them at 64GB. At that rate you might as well pick up an iPhone. The apps ans services that I use aren't all available on Windows Mobile so I didn't vote for the Lumia. I'm sure it will be a fine piece of hardware and I have always enjoyed using Windows Mobile but I voted what I would have chosen.

I definitely wouldn't choose a smartphone from a company whose hardware division has been sinking over the last 7 years.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My Note 4 has been by far my favorite phone I've ever owned (iPhone 3G, Motorola Atrix (Android), HTC 8x (WP), Note 4). The only problem I've had with it was after the Lollipop update my battery life was horrible. Eventually I refreshed the OS and reinstalled my apps and it is back to normal (lose <5% overnight).

I don't have an overwhelming need for vanilla android. Touchwiz doesn't bother me.

6. Mr. Boosh

I refuse to buy any Samsung hardware unless it's a Google Play Edition or there's a strong dev community. I cannot stand TouchWiz at all. I'm willing to give it a shot again with 4GB RAM considering it may finally have enough free memory after the OS skin eats most of it up to be lag free for once.

7. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have had nothing but problems after the update to Android 5.0.1, that's even after I have completely erased it and started over (3 times now). Bluetooth audio playback skips like a CD being played back in an old portable CD player without anti-shock (it happens with my UE Megaboom, UE Boom, Beats Studio Wireless headphones, my fiance's Ford Escape, and my Honda Civic with a 3rd party Bluetooth receiver), my battery life is about 50% of what it used to be, my phone will randomly freeze making me take the battery out of it to force restart it, my Note Edge will get randomly hot while it's in my pocket, the Samsung camera app takes about one minute (give or take a couple of seconds) to open from both the lock screen and home screen, it randomly stops communicating with my Moto 360, people will randomly stop hearing me, my phone will stop responding to touch input (mainly when I'm receiving a call so I can't answer it), scrolling in anything (even the home screen and app grid) stutters, and it has completely erased my microSD card twice now.

It was my absolute favorite phone when running Android 4.4.4. Super smooth operation, it would open apps near instantly with very little loading, the Samsung camera app would load within 2-4 seconds, and I could easily get 16 hours of battery life and that was with a few hours of wi-fi internet surfing and 4-5 hours of Bluetooth audio playback using Google Music. I had completely sworn off iPhones until I received the update. I would have chocked it up to a bad update but this is the second time that Samsung has done this to me with a software update. It's enough for me to never buy their phones again and for me to never recommend them to anyone.

8. Mr. Boosh

I'm telling you guys, find a used Passport and give it a shot. You'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Changed my vote from Galaxy Note 5 to iPhone 6s Plus - reasons:
    • Sealed (smaller) battery on GN5
    • 64gb max capacity
    • No SD card support
    • Glass back (learned my lesson with original iPhone 5)
    iPhone 6s Plus will also have sealed battery and no SD card, but my battery easily goes two days on charge and 128gb max capacity takes care of SD Card. I really though hard about the Galaxy Note 4, because it doesn't suffer form any of the GN5 new handicaps, BUT, having been a GN 3 owner for a while, I think Samsung is terrible about not upgrading Android on its previous devices.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The problem is not so much with Samsung as it is with your carrier. In South Korea they get updated plenty, but there Samsung is closely connected to the telecoms.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.