Best PDF Reader for Reading / Navigating with Touch

Discussion in 'Software' started by StewartJoseph, Apr 7, 2011.

1. StewartJoseph

StewartJoseph Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Helpful Folks:

I am trying to find the best PDF Reader to read my PDF books with my Asus EP121 Slate. I plan on using full screen and just want to use touch feature, not pen, to easily navigate from page to page.

Adobe reader seems a bit kludgy to navigate with touch. Does PDF Annotate, Foxit or PDF eXchange offer a better reading/navigating experience with a tablet PC?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    SJ

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried Martview reader & downloader? Great experience with page flip feature, as well as touch panning.

3. StewartJoseph

StewartJoseph Pen Pal - Newbie

I have done a quick review of small light pdf readers, tested for speed, rendering, optimal use of full screen, ease of navigation with touchtablet:

RESULTS:

Sumatra: quick decent rendering, open source, small executable. Fullscreen is great, best of all you can "touch" navigate with single tap/touch-hold/double tap. Has ability to remember settings/page order when re-opening document. For me, a more than adequate reader-only pdf reader.

Others that didn't make the grade:
    SlimPDF: has no fullscreen, doh!
    Martview: doesn't do portrait mode?
    PDFviewer: buggy, slow, useless.
    Foxit: didn't test, read about bad install stories

If anyone has any other recommendations for lightweight, touch friendly pdf reader, let me know, and maybe will test out.

Thanks!
    SJ

nnthemperor and crashnburn like this.
  4. MDominic

MDominic Pen Pal - Newbie

5. AndreR

AndreR Scribbler - Standard Member

I use this for my tablet and it's amazing. By far the best I have tried so far, both for tablets and notebooks.

6. ChrisRS

ChrisRS Scribbler - Standard Member

Try PDF revu from Bluebeam software. There is a lot if discussion of it on this board.

It is very tablet/ink aware. It is a full function PDF soution allowing cration reading an anntoation. It is not free, but after the 30 day free trial expires, you can use it as a vewer, annotate and print, but not save.

I like it and use it all the time.

Student pricing available. All versions are cheaper through ponline third party, sellers.

I am not associated with Blubeam.

7. Looker1122

Looker1122 Pen Pal - Newbie

Reviving this important thread after 8 years. :)

Something changed in this topic?
    What are yours recommendations for a touch-friendly Windows' PDF reader as easy to use as on iPad?

Recently I switched from iPad to Windows 10 tablet and I can't find any PDF reader comparable in easy of use.
    Any clues?

8. dswartze

dswartze Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, I find the best PDF reader on a Windows 10 tablet is Edge! I hope the Chrome-based Edge is just as good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Looker1122 likes this.
  9. Looker1122

Looker1122 Pen Pal - Newbie

Very good tip!
    I was not aware that Edge's PDF reader have annotation tools.
    There is no any customization and all is very simple, but all needed features are "under finger". It seems that it is the best iOS-touch-style alternative reader which I have seen so far.
    Thanks!!

10. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

For simply reading PDFs in a touch only environment, my choice is Book Bazzar Reader. It's available in the Windows Store.
    It's designed primarily an eBook reader and supports ePub, Mobi, FB2, and TXT as well as PDF.