Best PDF reader for making notes with a Pen (not Adobe)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Variable, Aug 8, 2017.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I've done a bit of research and there are a lot of online discussions about using Journal to annotate pdf's in the early days of OneNote but very few after.

My feeling is Microsoft switched or developed greater features in OneNote to help it gain ground. Certainly I see no option to import pdfs in the Windows 7 or discontinued Windows 10 version - unless I am just not seeing the option. Certainly you can print to pdf but that has always been there as far as I can see.

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

If recalled correctly, on Windows 7, the Journal printer driver will be installed automatically once Journal is launched for the first time. All you have to do is open the PDF file you want (using Sumatra or Adobe) and print to the driver. (Re)name the .jnt file and starts annotating.

Windows Journal is not supported in Win 10, AFAIK. There are better PDF software out there anyway, UWP or Win32.
    Personally, I used the print to OneNote feature. OneNote is way better, imo. Or just use Edge.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. This might be the answer I was originally asking about.

Update: Tried renaming a .pdf as a .jnt and it doesn't work as an import method (which was the original comment) - don't worry about further replies on this, it possibly worked once but it certainly doesn't in Windows 7 or 10.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  4. olmi21

olmi21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

I don't know what is the final answer, so what is the best simple pdf annotator for android tablet (Samsung tab s3)? I used XODO, but XODO pen annotation do not transfer to pc. I read somewhere that you had to "flattened" the file, but, then, you can't save it on onedrive. I don't mind paying a little bit for the app...

Well, thanks in advance for you help!

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Your Tab S3 comes with Write on PDF built-in. Simple but effective PDF annotator. Hope this helps. :)

WillAdams likes this.