Best PDF reader for making notes with a Pen (not Adobe)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Variable, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Lol, literally what I was going to say when I read that post. Bluebeam absolutely has the best PDF inking, but man that price. !!!

PDF Annotator is also very good, especially since they implemented touch awareness, but it's also very overpriced at $70. The educational discount puts it at $30, which is much more fair, but I don't need PDF annotation that much anymore, so not worth getting.

Xodo isn't bad, but it doesn't have pen pressure and I can't see the point of a PDF annotator without pen pressure. I hated every single Windows Store app with PDF inking, as they are all pretty terrible or else have no pen pressure.

Oh, you know what? Xournal. I haven't checked on this in a long time, so I just downloaded it and it has pen pressure and writes very well on PDFs. And it's open source and free!

Unfortunately, it seems to depend on Wintab? Works great on my T901, no pen pressure available and major jitter on my GB10. :(

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

It will clearly depend on your usage scenario, but for simply notetaking/inking not sure how necessary pen pressure is.

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If I'm using a pen, I expect pen pressure, simple as that. Doesn't matter what I'm doing. I can vary line thickness with any analog pen/pencil I use, therefore any digital pen I use will behave the same. If it doesn't, it's not worth my time.

4. djas

djas Graffiti User

PDF Annotator was very good on my old retired TC1100 but as others here mentioned, the price was high. This really brings home the difference between a proper software and an app? I think so.

Squid (formerly Papyrus) is a cross platform Android and UWP app that can import PDF files. It works very well and is vector-based. Gotta pay for the PDF functionality though.

Alternatively, there is Windows Journal? I used to import and then annotate PDFs onto Journal. Worked very well.

The majority of my PDF-related workflow are done on my GTA8SP though; via Write-on-PDF, SNote and LectureNotes. The Wacom EMR, imho, is still the premier active digitizer/pen solution. This is coming from someone who has been paperless and early Tablet PC adoptor since 2004. YMMV.

Fluffyfurball and WillAdams like this.
  5. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow. Didn't know that one. Thanks for the head's up.