Best PDF annotation app in the Windows Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JoeS, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, quite agree on the BB 11. Quite great experience but an overkill. If only Microsoft would get their acts together and improve the stock reader app, or even a desktop equivalent. Wonder why office doesn't come with a PDF reader.

2. MarkPhil

MarkPhil Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty worthless as far as I can tell. It seems to function identically to the built-in Reader app, except without the ability to erase ink marks made with the pen. (The only way I've found to get rid of ink marks once they're there is to select and delete them in Acrobat.)

I'll update if I discover any redeeming features.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tried the Drawboard PDF. Pretty ambitious app. But after I purchased it, it became almost completely unusable.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Great, thanks. Does the app at least respect the eraser that's on the back of some pens?

5. JoeS

It's weird, on my 500T it works pretty well, but on my X220T it crashes at the splash screen. Hopefully the next version will fix this.

6. JoeS

7. anfederin

anfederin Pen Pal - Newbie

Im trying to handwrite but the write is not fluid (Sony Vaio Duo).
    Anymore has this behaviour?

8. JoeS

For me it doesn't even start. I'm beginning to think the problem may be on my end..

9. taoyue

taoyue HP Elitebook 2740p

I don't think it's just ClearType. Microsoft Reader seems to have a particularly bad PDF renderer. The same file looks better in Adobe Reader (Modern) than Microsoft Reader.

Also, Microsoft Reader seem to lock in a maximum zoom level. If you zoom in beyond that, it uses image scaling. This makes a lot of PDFs look blurry when zoomed in.

Foxit Mobile PDF also has a maximum zoom level. It also has some severe problems with lag. I found it completely unusable.

Adobe Reader (Modern) behaves differently. You can zoom in as much as you want, and it'll re-render at that zoom level. And like Microsoft Reader, it operates smoothly and doesn't lag. The trade-off is that you can't ink.

I'm afraid this doesn't help much with annotation, but it might at least allow you to read without eyestrain.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  10. JoeS

Drawboard just added semantic zoom, and a toggle for passive stylus use. Still some bugs present ('cancel' still seems to save the annotations you made), but works very well otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.