Best PDF annotation app in the Windows Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JoeS, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They have greatly improved the program. It is very smooth ATM.

soh5 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Pen Pal - Newbie

I too started with Drawboard and bought the paid version too. But it is buggy and their updates are not very encouraging for it breaks often - at least for me.

As a replacement I have started using Xodo which seems to be working well in so far as annotating etc is concerned. I like the interface better too.

ATIVQ and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. Bronsky

Looks like Drawboard is releasing Drawboard Pro which is an in-app upgrade. Does this apply to those of us who previously licensed a version of Drawboard? I haven't used my licensed version since I bought my Surface 3 because it came already installed on the device.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I bought mine, and some options are indeed behind a Pro paywall. Thankfully no existing functions have been 'hidden', it seems to be only for new features that are geared toward e.g. architecture markup (measurement tools, grids etc).

upload_2017-1-12_12-50-44.png

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Very nice app!

Pros:
    • Imports, exports, edits and annotates PDFs. Handled every PDF I threw at it! Even offered to fix the malformed ones!
    • No online registration! All features are free!
    • Option to disable smoothing! THANK YOU!
    • Very fast!
    • Full featured - varied view options, single-page rotation, all-page rotation, two-page view, scroll up/down or left/right, thumbnail, crop, fullscreen, document outline, bookmarks, text boxes, image insertion, pen, highlighter, arrows, lines, rectangles, ellipses, import and export PDF - pretty much everything I need, assuming I can import and export any document to PDF (and I can, thankfully).
    Cons:
    • Pen tool 0.5pt is too thick, needs to be able to be reduced to 0.1pt.
    • Zoom is not obvious - had to guess [ctrl]-[plus] and [ctrl]-[minus] zoom in and out.
    • Right-click-and-drag should scroll.
    • Command bars shouldn't require constant opening and closing - both the main command bar and the annotation command bar should be available at the same time.
    • Ctrl-Z should undo.
    • "Create document" should offer line or grid paper of varying scales and sizes.
    This is the best PDF annotation app I have ever seen. Amazing and free. All the cons are very easy to fix. I hope the next version is perfect! I am almost ready to ditch Windows Journal now.

Edit: spoke too soon. More missing features:
    • No selection tool for moving ink and annotation..
    • No right-click menu for adding and deleting pages.
    • Can't return to unsaved tabs after leaving the editor without opening a new tab.
    • Can't make pages larger, only crop them to a smaller size.
    • Can't scroll with keyboard while using pen.
    • Doesn't immediately open with a user-defined sheet of paper.
    • Suppose I'll find more the more I use it...
    Windows Journal is still my fave, but at least there's an alternative I like for when Journal inevitably bites the dust.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.
  6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

By the way Drawboard PDF crashes when trying to import the same PDFs that Xodo handles without a hitch.

7. Bronsky

Interesting. I have both as well but prefer Drawboard. Never really had any problem with opening PDFs in either program.

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I might have said it before, but I prefer Xodo writing in it feels more natural than Drawboard PDF for me

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Ha, I found a file that both Drawboard and Xodo choke on. 9._Aldehydes_and_ketones.pdf
    Generally speaking, though, both Drawboard and Xodo have excellent PDF-handling capabilities. Thankfully with "print to PDF" fixing these files can be done in a click.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

even Adobe has issues with this file...