Best PDF annotation app in the Windows Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JoeS, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm on v5.0.10 and I can no longer save the annotations. The file saves (with the ongoing saving to original error), but none of my annotations are visible? Anyone else experiencing this?

2. xader

xader Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, sometimes the annotation is gone due to some bugs i dont know, i just exit it and open the app again

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hmmm. I'm on 5.0.14.0 and haven't noticed a lot of issues.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm going to start using my Dell 7140 tablet more especially reading Zinio magazines.

I did buy Drawboard over a year ago. Is this still the best annotating app available? Most of what I want to consists of taking a screen shot of an interesting page, annotating the page and then saving it in pdf format that's hopefully searchable by some of these apps:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...h-for-text-inside-multiple-pdf-files-at-once/

EDIT: whoops, I seem to have read that FOX IT has become ad laden.

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

@Bronsky With regards to Drawboard, do you feel like the inking has gotten more smoother on your S3?

It's noticably more smooth on my Surface Book. Is it just me?

6. Bronsky

They have greatly improved the program. It is very smooth ATM.

soh5 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Pen Pal - Newbie

I too started with Drawboard and bought the paid version too. But it is buggy and their updates are not very encouraging for it breaks often - at least for me.

As a replacement I have started using Xodo which seems to be working well in so far as annotating etc is concerned. I like the interface better too.

ATIVQ and DRTigerlilly like this.
  8. Bronsky

Looks like Drawboard is releasing Drawboard Pro which is an in-app upgrade. Does this apply to those of us who previously licensed a version of Drawboard? I haven't used my licensed version since I bought my Surface 3 because it came already installed on the device.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I bought mine, and some options are indeed behind a Pro paywall. Thankfully no existing functions have been 'hidden', it seems to be only for new features that are geared toward e.g. architecture markup (measurement tools, grids etc).

upload_2017-1-12_12-50-44.png

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Very nice app!

Pros:
    • Imports, exports, edits and annotates PDFs. Handled every PDF I threw at it! Even offered to fix the malformed ones!
    • No online registration! All features are free!
    • Option to disable smoothing! THANK YOU!
    • Very fast!
    • Full featured - varied view options, single-page rotation, all-page rotation, two-page view, scroll up/down or left/right, thumbnail, crop, fullscreen, document outline, bookmarks, text boxes, image insertion, pen, highlighter, arrows, lines, rectangles, ellipses, import and export PDF - pretty much everything I need, assuming I can import and export any document to PDF (and I can, thankfully).
    Cons:
    • Pen tool 0.5pt is too thick, needs to be able to be reduced to 0.1pt.
    • Zoom is not obvious - had to guess [ctrl]-[plus] and [ctrl]-[minus] zoom in and out.
    • Right-click-and-drag should scroll.
    • Command bars shouldn't require constant opening and closing - both the main command bar and the annotation command bar should be available at the same time.
    • Ctrl-Z should undo.
    • "Create document" should offer line or grid paper of varying scales and sizes.
    This is the best PDF annotation app I have ever seen. Amazing and free. All the cons are very easy to fix. I hope the next version is perfect! I am almost ready to ditch Windows Journal now.

Edit: spoke too soon. More missing features:
    • No selection tool for moving ink and annotation..
    • No right-click menu for adding and deleting pages.
    • Can't return to unsaved tabs after leaving the editor without opening a new tab.
    • Can't make pages larger, only crop them to a smaller size.
    • Can't scroll with keyboard while using pen.
    • Doesn't immediately open with a user-defined sheet of paper.
    • Suppose I'll find more the more I use it...
    Windows Journal is still my fave, but at least there's an alternative I like for when Journal inevitably bites the dust.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.